What 2nd stage parts does AL consider "external" and ok to sell to a customer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six2Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Apeks 2nd stage that needs an exhaust valve and nothing else. Is this a part I can buy and replace myself? Also, could you give me a brief list of parts that would be considered "external" and ok for direct purchase? I'm thinking of things like mouthpieces (obviously), rubber exhaust tee's for older conshelf's, etc.

I think it is entirely up to the dive shop. They all sell mouthpieces. The guy who will sell you an exhaust valve will probably also sell you kits. I have found some Scubapro shops that would sell exhaust tees as external parts and others who refused (but could not explain how they differed from mouthpieces).

AWAP is correct. It will vary depending on the dive store. If you are new to diving or to the store, they probably will not sell you anything but the mouthpiece. As they get to know you and you acquire credentials, they may ease up on this a bit. I will say that for an Apeks regulator to need "an exhaust valve and nothing else makes me a little suspicious". That is a highly unusual situation. I can see a store being reluctant to sell a valve without examining the entire second stage. After all, they incur the liability for their actions. It is prudent for them to error on the side of caution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom