New Legend vs 2011 Legend ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Like to see a couple of comments about the breathability of of the new Legend LX vs the 2010/2011 Legend from folks that have experience with them
No hear say please.

I have the 2011 model and like it but need a backup and I'm looking at the new Legend LX or go with a Apek XTX-200...

Thanks...

Like to see a couple of comments about the breathability of of the new Legend LX vs the 2010/2011 Legend from folks that have experience with them
No hear say please.

I have the 2011 model and like it but need a backup and I'm looking at the new Legend LX or go with a Apek XTX-200...

Thanks...

Sorry when you say you "need a back up" are you talking about a 2nd stage or a complete reg set? Cheers

An alternate air source would be just the 2nd and I would have said "Legend Octo".

When I ask about the Legend, I am refrerring to a complete Reg.

Thanks for asking though.

An alternate air source would be just the 2nd and I would have said "Legend Octo".

When I ask about the Legend, I am refrerring to a complete Reg.

Thanks for asking though.

I apologise if my question seemed stupid.

To me a "back up" is a second stage that is bungeed around the neck. I am also aware that terminology is not always universal. I just wanted to be sure before I offered any opinion.

I cannot speak to the new legend except to say it looks nice. I have used the older Legend and it was a nice breather. I personally use an XTX 200, well actually an FSR 1st stage and 2 XTX50s as primary and backup (i.e bungeed 2nd stage). I see no reason to pay for an XTX200 2nd stage which save some cosmetic differences is identical to the much cheaper XTX50. I went with the FSR 1st stage (standard with the XTX200) as I like its hose routing for single tank diving. If you know someone in Europe Scubastore.com have very good prices on Apeks and you can buy 1st stages and 2nd stages separately i.e. you can mix and match. I went with Apeks as I service my own gear, Apeks are relatively simple regs and service kits are not difficult to obtain. I have been using FSR/XTX for around 4 years and have found it to be a very nice breather, couldn't tell the difference between that or the older Legend I tried, which is not too surprising given that they are fundamentally the same design. Hope this was of some help, sorry couldn't offer more info on the new Legend. I think as they are so new getting 1st hand info might be difficult. I would be very surprised if a human could tell the difference when breathing between a properly tuned older Legend and the new version. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have friends who are like me and try new equipment all the time....I tried theirs and we all agree the 'New' Legend is just hype...Flashy packaging for the uninformed....Many unnecessary parts just for 'show'......I have a 3 year old Legend ACD Supreme that was rebuilt w/the new cover if you're interested...But look into the HOG reg's...Better quality for a lot less....I was an Apeks user [no complaints] but went to HOG because they supply rebuild parts to qualified individual divers as well as being a better product......

Wow j2s- you make some rather bold statements here.
Can you share with us what the "many unecessary parts are" that are found in a Legend?
Your definition of a "better product" may be the one that is built by a company that sells parts to the public but my definition of a better product is the one that performs better under all conditions, backed by a reputable company with a lifetime warranty, holds its value and is supported around the world.
If you are a spokesman for hog regulators then you're on the wrong forum.

I have friends who are like me and try new equipment all the time....I tried theirs and we all agree the 'New' Legend is just hype...Flashy packaging for the uninformed....Many unnecessary parts just for 'show'......I have a 3 year old Legend ACD Supreme that was rebuilt w/the new cover if you're interested...But look into the HOG reg's...Better quality for a lot less....I was an Apeks user [no complaints] but went to HOG because they supply rebuild parts to qualified individual divers as well as being a better product......

My apologies. Simultaneous to the original post, the OP had PM'd me with the same question which I responded to. I'll paste my earlier response here for all.

"Hi Islandheart,
Thanks for the note. The Legend LX and the XTX200 are very comparable performance-wise. You would not be able to perceive any difference above 300 ft of depth. On a breathing machine under strenuous conditions, the new Legend LX gets the nod. While you cannot go wrong with either, personally, I like the smaller size of the new Legend LX, the auto-closure feature and the MBS (one knob controlling two functions).

Congratulations on the approx 400 dives per year. I hope you get some of those without students! Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Tom

tphillip,
Now that you have vented, how about answering the OP's question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom