Pupillary distance in the Look 2 corrective lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDownUnder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I was just wondering what the pupillary distance (often referred to as PD) is for the lenses used in the Look 2 sold in Australia.

Thanks

are you looking at using the Aqualung Lenses or having some made ? I tried to get my true prescription put into this mask but very few places have the equipment to back cut the lens and have access to a "Flat lens" for it to fit in the mask. so in turn I asked what diopter I should order from AL.

I use the Aqualung RX lenses in my look 2 and even though it's not my exact prescription (I have astigmatism) , it close enough to get the job done fairly well, and the price is great for RX lenses.

are you looking at using the Aqualung Lenses or having some made ? I tried to get my true prescription put into this mask but very few places have the equipment to back cut the lens and have access to a "Flat lens" for it to fit in the mask. so in turn I asked what diopter I should order from AL.

I use the Aqualung RX lenses in my look 2 and even though it's not my exact prescription (I have astigmatism) , it close enough to get the job done fairly well, and the price is great for RX lenses.

I have considered both getting some made and using the standard corrective lenses from the manufacturer. Before making a decision I wanted to find out what the PD is in the corrective lenses used by the manufacturer. I have had trouble getting that information through other means. When I found this Manufacturers board I thought I might be able to get an answer through here.

The company I would get them custom made through is Ozbob Scuba (Welcome Page). They are more expensive but say they can do all diopters and astigmatism.

that's interesting...

just for comparison I have -4.25 and 4.75 with astigmatism I don't recall the values, and use -5 for both eyes in my mask. the lenses were 35$ each Vs. 250$ for Rx.

I would try the Aqualung lenses and only look into true RX if you feel you need it... I'm happy with the lenses I have.

Hi Scubadownunder,

Here is the answer from Italy where the masks are made, "The pupillary distance on the LOOK 2, with negative optical lenses, is 57,5 mm.
The concept of pupillary distance is related to prescription lenses and, on glasses custom made to prescription, is the distance between the focal centers of the two lenses that must match the distance between the centers of the pupils of the eyes (this is the real pupillary distance).
Unfortunately, this is not possible on the diving masks with industrial optical glasses that have a fixed pupillary distance, preset to the most common PD.
Also, prescription glasses must be as accurate as possible because of the typically long period of utilization (you use it many hours per day), on the other side, the optical diving mask useage is limited in the time, allowing some approximation in the pupillary distance."
I hope that this helps.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me. It is much appreciated.

Aaron

Scubadownunder, If need a specific PD, you can get bonded lenses, where they actually attach a Rx lens to the inside of the mask. This is the most flexible way -- you can get your exact Rx correcting for astigmatism too; plus you get the mask you really want and don't have to settle for one that has pop-in lenses. There are a number of outfits that will do the bonding. The off-the-shelf lenses are less flexible, but you can change lenses as your Rx changes. Then again, you need to find a mask you like among the more limited selection. I've done it both ways becuase my Rx is not complicated and I've been happy with both. Good luck.

Hi Guys, Just joined scubaboard, I can answer any questions you have about optical lenses into scuba masks, I have been doing it for at least 30 years, I am happy to help anybody, I don't necessarily have to sell something. Just out of interest for the PD question.
Most off the shelf lenses are set at 60mm PD in shortsighted lenses or Myopic. There is positive off the shelf lenses available but these are an issue because they set the PD at 74 which is way wider than the average pair of eyes. What happens if the PD is wrong is that the eye tends to want to go towards the lens centre but your brain is telling it to look straight ahead so there is a conflict, we call it horizontal prism, in the strong plus powers, off the shelf could result in double vision in the horizontal. Don't want to bore you with too much but Off the shelf lenses suit some but my custom made is just like your spectacles.
Regards Rob Hamilton Ozbob Scuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom