Slingshot failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive nut fred

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Aqua Lung, My wife and I are Aqua Lung customers..I3 BC's, Legend regs, Sunto computers, wetsuits, ect. The only previous problem I had with your gear was very well handled by you and my LDS. Unfortunately, diving a few weeks ago, I had a power band break on my slingshots. The band had molded chunks that had separated in several spots. After examining both my and my wife's fins, it was apparent that both sets of bands on both fins were separating. We have another set we use with our drysuits that have far fewer dives, which show the same separation starting. LDS said this was not a warranty issue. That being said...20.00 per fin for a repair that looks manufacturer defect seems steep for 8 fins. May be time to look at seawing gorillas....

The Hotshot and the Slingshot use the same power band. One of mine broke after a year. Your Local Aqualung Dive Shop should stock the replacements for $20 - $25 per set of two bands.

Already bought replacement bands, but it seems to me that a $200 pair of fins should not cost me $40 a year to maintain. All the bands on all 4 pairs are showing break points starting, even though we use one set far more than the other. Seems odd.

Now I am scared - I have the slingshots AND the Hotshots - love 'em both! I have a set of bands for my save-a-dive kit, but I will inspect tomorrow. Got any pics of the issue?

This is exactly why I steer students away from the Slingshots. Moving parts that can break/get lost. We don't need any moving parts in fins other than spring straps.

This is exactly why I steer students away from the Slingshots. Moving parts that can break/get lost. We don't need any moving parts in fins other than spring straps.
oh, slingshots can be funny, when you set the instructor's slingshots to "low" :D

I Was very interested in the Hotshots for travel but have always been a little suspicious of the power bands. Being paranoid about any of the four bands possibly breaking has always prevented me from going ahead with the purchase. To be honest though they mustn't be too fragile as not many reports of breakage, in fact this is the first time I've heard of them breaking, but this thread alone has put me off them for sure. Same reasons I never bought the Novas first time around. Hopefully the AL rep will chime in. I agree having to replace power bands every year is ridiculous. Hope you get some resolution.

All,
Sorry, I have been away for a few weeks. Dive Nut Fred, I too would like to a pic of a broken band if possible. Breakage is rare on Slingshot and practically unheard of on HotShot. Breakage can be covered under warranty depending on nature and cause of break. Some of the early pairs of Slingshot had a sharp spot on the lug that could cause breakage. If you had repeat breakage then something is up. In these instances we replace the lug and the band under warranty. Why don't you PM me your contact info and get you taken care of.
Prior to the fin's release, stress tests performed on the silicone bands subjected them to over a half million cycles without any noticeable sign of fatigue or breakage. Divers should be confident in the bands and please let your Aqua Lung LDS if not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom