Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Slingshot failure

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Slingshot failure

Hello Aqua Lung, My wife and I are Aqua Lung customers..I3 BC's, Legend regs, Sunto computers, wetsuits, ect. The only previous problem I had with your gear was very well handled by you and my LDS. Unfortunately, diving a few weeks ago, I had a power band break on my slingshots. The band had molded chunks that had separated in several spots. After examining both my and my wife's fins, it was apparent that both sets of bands on both fins were separating. We have another set we use with our drysuits that have far fewer dives, which show the same separation starting. LDS said this was not a warranty issue. That being said...20.00 per fin for a repair that looks manufacturer defect seems steep for 8 fins. May be time to look at seawing gorillas....

Registered

Too Dry......I need some
    bottom time

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    I hate to hear that, wondering if they have the same problem with the hot shots. I had been considering a couple of pairs of them for my wife and I for travel.

Senior Moderator

The Hotshot and the Slingshot use the same power band. One of mine broke after a year. Your Local Aqualung Dive Shop should stock the replacements for $20 - $25 per set of two bands.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Already bought replacement bands, but it seems to me that a $200 pair of fins should not cost me $40 a year to maintain. All the bands on all 4 pairs are showing break points starting, even though we use one set far more than the other. Seems odd.

Registered

The Goal is twice a month!

Dives
    50 - 99
    Now I am scared - I have the slingshots AND the Hotshots - love 'em both! I have a set of bands for my save-a-dive kit, but I will inspect tomorrow. Got any pics of the issue?

Scuba Instructor

Trying to never be complacent

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    This is exactly why I steer students away from the Slingshots. Moving parts that can break/get lost. We don't need any moving parts in fins other than spring straps.
    http://www.photoeditingforum.com/forum.phpa new forum for editing photos
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how just much I don't know"

Registered

Trimix-olic

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    This is exactly why I steer students away from the Slingshots. Moving parts that can break/get lost. We don't need any moving parts in fins other than spring straps.
    oh, slingshots can be funny, when you set the instructor's slingshots to "low"

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Divemaster

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    I Was very interested in the Hotshots for travel but have always been a little suspicious of the power bands. Being paranoid about any of the four bands possibly breaking has always prevented me from going ahead with the purchase. To be honest though they mustn't be too fragile as not many reports of breakage, in fact this is the first time I've heard of them breaking, but this thread alone has put me off them for sure. Same reasons I never bought the Novas first time around. Hopefully the AL rep will chime in. I agree having to replace power bands every year is ridiculous. Hope you get some resolution.

Equipment Manufacturer

w/ 2 "L"s &
    3 "P"s

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    All,
    Sorry, I have been away for a few weeks. Dive Nut Fred, I too would like to a pic of a broken band if possible. Breakage is rare on Slingshot and practically unheard of on HotShot. Breakage can be covered under warranty depending on nature and cause of break. Some of the early pairs of Slingshot had a sharp spot on the lug that could cause breakage. If you had repeat breakage then something is up. In these instances we replace the lug and the band under warranty. Why don't you PM me your contact info and get you taken care of.
    Prior to the fin's release, stress tests performed on the silicone bands subjected them to over a half million cycles without any noticeable sign of fatigue or breakage. Divers should be confident in the bands and please let your Aqua Lung LDS if not.
    Tom Phillipp
    Product Manager
    Aqua Lung America
    Apeks U.S.