Warranty/Free Parts for Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weezieharris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Aqualung. I am posting this because of an experience I had at my LDS, Sportsco Scuba of Springdale, AR today. I have two Aqualung Mikron regulators. Both are about a year old and were purchased from an authorized dealer out of state. Today, I took those regulators to my LDS for annual service. After dropping them off, they called to say that the price I was quoted for the inspection was wrong...no big deal. Then they proceeded to tell me that since I did not purchase the regulators from them my warranty was void and I would not qualify for the Free Parts for Life program. Now, I had read your warranty online on Aqualung.com prior to making my purchase and reviewed it again today. I do not see anything that states the maintenance must be performed by the dive shop from which the original purchase was made. What if I moved from one state to another or needed a new reg while traveling? Have I misunderstood the policy? If not, how is this dive shop allowed to run their own program? Although I love your products...I also have Aqualung BCD's and Suunto computers, I am seriously considering switching to another brand for which I have local warranty service available. Thanks for you time.

You read the policy correctly. That dive shop is trying to rip you off, As long as you purchased it from an authorized dealer and provide the proper paper work and with yearly period you're good to go.

Thanks for the piece of mind...nice to know I'm not crazy. And yes, I think you are right about the dive shop. I always visit them when looking for gear etc. Sometimes I purchase there, sometimes I don't. They tend not to be very competitive on prices etc. I think they hold a grudge against the purchases we've made elsewhere :wink:

Sounds like the LDS is giving you a load of crap. If you bought it from an authorized dealer, it qualifies for "Free Parts for Life" if you've met the other service requirements.

However, LDS's don't have to participate in this program. But I don't know if they can selectively "opt out" for people who bought them elsewhere.

from Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment

Conditions:
· In order to get free standard overhaul parts on the Free Parts for Life program you will be required to provide proof of purchase from an Authorized U.S. Aqua Lung Dealer and the “Annual Service and Inspection Record” located in the back of your regulator owner’s manual documenting all inspections and overhauls have been completed as per the agreement.
· This program is limited to participating Authorized Aqua Lung America Retailers. Aqua Lung retailers are not required to participate in this program. Please inquire with the Aqua Lung retailer if they participate in the Aqua Lung Free Parts for Life program prior to bringing your regulator in for overhaul servicing.

regardless, sounds like it's the LDS that's the issue here and not Aqualung. There are other dive shops that will service your AL if this shop won't.

I'd print out the Free Parts for Life from the URL above and take it in to the LDS and tell him to show you where your warranty is "void" for not buying it from him and ask him if he wants you to buy anything else from him in the future.

I agree that the problem is definately with the LDS and not with Aqualung. My frustration is that this LDS is the only Aqualung dealer conveniently located to me. The availability of local service and quality of the warranty program were both factors I considered when purchasing my gear. It's disappointing that my option is now to drive several hours each way or ship my gear to have it serviced. Oh well, such is life I guess. Just grateful to have good diving close by!

---------- Post Merged on July 18th, 2012 at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 17th, 2012 at 12:51 PM ----------

Gotta say that despite my LDS, I am even more impressed with Aqualung than ever! I submitted a customer comment card on their website regarding this incident and received a call back from the Division Manager. He was receptive, friendly, and apologetic. I truly appreciate that he took the time to review my concerns and follow-up! They have gone above and beyond to address my concerns! It means a lot that they stand behind their product and warranty even when there may be an issue with the LDS!

Last edited:
If an internet purchase was good enough for you why don't you just send it back to the same place for service? I don't sense any loyalty to an LDS on your part anyway. Heck, I hope you never need surgery, but in case you do I'm sure a good internet surgeon will set you right up. You can get a cheap price and I'm sure the quality is just as good as shopping locally.

A LDS shouldn't be an equipment mill. They should be matching equipment to a diver's skills, interests, physical needs, etc. They should provide good service. They should provide full service.

Sportco is a 5 star PADI facility. They handle top of the line equipment from major manufacturers. Their prices are very competitive compared to online stores like Leisurepro and Scubatoys. They certify more people in the area than anyone else and have been around longer than everyone else.

The bottom line is this. The scuba community, especially around NWA, is a small community. Sportsco would have gone out of business long ago if they were a slipshod organization. It sounds like your expectations were different than what happen. That happens. That seems to happen more often when cherry picking product and services from a number of sources.

I have to admit, when I buy locally, train locally and get my equipment serviced locally, I don't seem to have my expectations missed. I take that back. My expectations are either met or exceeded. I'll stack that up against any internet price differential.

If an internet purchase was good enough for you why don't you just send it back to the same place for service? I don't sense any loyalty to an LDS on your part anyway. Heck, I hope you never need surgery, but in case you do I'm sure a good internet surgeon will set you right up. You can get a cheap price and I'm sure the quality is just as good as shopping locally.

A LDS shouldn't be an equipment mill. They should be matching equipment to a diver's skills, interests, physical needs, etc. They should provide good service. They should provide full service.

Sportco is a 5 star PADI facility. They handle top of the line equipment from major manufacturers. Their prices are very competitive compared to online stores like Leisurepro and Scubatoys. They certify more people in the area than anyone else and have been around longer than everyone else.

The bottom line is this. The scuba community, especially around NWA, is a small community. Sportsco would have gone out of business long ago if they were a slipshod organization. It sounds like your expectations were different than what happen. That happens. That seems to happen more often when cherry picking product and services from a number of sources.

I have to admit, when I buy locally, train locally and get my equipment serviced locally, I don't seem to have my expectations missed. I take that back. My expectations are either met or exceeded. I'll stack that up against any internet price differential.

Would you mind if i use your post as an illustration of things that are wrong and just plain stupid about the scuba retail business?

If an internet purchase was good enough for you...

First, nice necropost. Second, he said out of state, not online (though obviously it may have also been an online purchase). Third, if the shop for which you're shilling wants to play ball as an AL dealer that participates in AL's FPFL program...then they take all qualified comers, or they take none.

It was entirely appropriate for him to respond to the shop's good ole boy conduct by pulling his business and then calling AL to see if they're aware of how their "authorized dealer" is dealing on AL's behalf. Maybe AL slaps them into shape, maybe they don't...doesn't hurt to try.

from AL website;

Purchasing equipment from an Authorized Aqua Lung dealer assures you of receiving the highest quality equipment and customer service available in the industry today! The benefits to you are:

· 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

· Limited Lifetime Warranty on all Regulators and Buoyancy Compensators

· “Free Parts for Life” on all Aqua Lung and Apeks regulators

· 5 Year Limited Warranty on Suunto dive computers

· 2 Year “Free Battery Replacement” with Suunto computers

· Professional assistance in determining the right equipment for your needs

· Professional setup and instruction in the use of your Aqua Lung purchases

· Service and repair by Aqua Lung trained technicians​

I was going to avoid this thread since it was in the Aqualung forum but now that it's been moved to Regulators it's pretty clear that it's open season.

My first suspicion is that "Venskj" is affiliated with the LDS and is astroturfing. Scummy if true.

My second is people should start understaing that these "free for life" programs are crap. I googled AL's website and the description of the agreement as "three party" is just lame. Their additional requirement that regulators with more then 50 dives a year need annual rebuilds and free parts every other year is further junk.

Just realize that all these agreeements are designed to do is to "keep you in the fold" and visiting the authorized dealers where they can then fleece you.

The regulator I dive doesn't play that game. They just make a great product at a great price and make it easy to obtain the parts and training so that you can do it yourself and not play this game.

Back
Top Bottom