New Balance BCD questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just used my new Balance BC last night for the first time. Rinsed, cleaned and hung up to dry. Same thing with my wife's new Pearl.

Her's is bone dry today - mine is bone dry - with the exception of a piece of foam in between the tank pad and the part my back fits against. It almost looks like it can just come out, but is half under mesh toward the bottom of the BC. It is still soaking wet - is this normal? Is it removable? Is it even supposed to be there? If it is supposed to be there, the top isn't attached to anything and seems like it will not hold up long at all - just from trying to dry it it half came out.

I have noticed it takes quite some time to dry on my Balance as weel. Never thought about / looked at taking it out though...

Just looked and although it isn't sewn in at the top, it is on the sides and bottom, but if you take a wash cloth or dish towel and gently squeeze the foam with your hadn ont he outside and the washcloth on the inside it takes 90% of the water out - they should have put that on the cleaning instructions!

I see no reason to take it out. Ours dry just fine with it in place.

I guess since this was my first time with this one, and as wet as it was today - I was worried about traveling and having to pack it up the next day to fly home - it's been about 22 hours since I hung it up to dry and if I squeezed back there, water still ran out. Took a towel, ran in between the front and back and squeezed with my hand pushing the front. Seems to have gotten most of it out.

I also have this predicament, its been days( 3 plus) that I have hanged my Balance and its still wet. I hope AQ can advise us on how to fast dry said foam and/or can we just remove it?

My personal opinion is that it would likely do no harm to remove - but that is not a recommendation. Among other things, it could affect your comfort. I am not sure what it's buoyancy impact might be, but likely small. And of course how you remove it could affect the integrity of the BCD.

Take a small towel and put it in underneath where the foam is and just try to squeeze out as much as you can. Dove yesterday, soaked overnight, hung up to dry today. Did the towel dry on the inside this evening and it's about dry now.

Another question I have is the elastic band that goes around the bladder. Looks like it is adjustable - anyone know what it's there for?

Back
Top Bottom