Issue with Axiom BCD i3 lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've had my Axion BCD for about 7 months now and when controlling the exhaust valves with the i3 lever, they aren't working as well as they did when I first got the BCD. It seems like the lever isn't opening the valves as fully as they originally did. I'm having to use the pull cord to do my initial drop because using the lever isn't working as well. I get the impression like the cables have stretched over time. I assume I need to get it serviced, but since it's been less than a year, that doesn't seem right. Suggestions?

Hi Jak,
When in doubt, get it checked out.
There are no cables to stretch as it uses a push rod system.
If your LDS agrees with your assessment, have them send it to us for evaluation along with a copy of your receipt. Assuming that you are the original owner, it would be covered under warranty.

Cable, rod. Point is, the valves aren't opening completely.

I got in on this a little late but once you see the system it is very simple in design and a local dealer will be able to spot something wrong pretty quickly.

It's a really good system in my opinion

The biggest problem with the i3 system is user maintenance. We find that most faults can be attributed to less than adequate post dive cleaning. Lever system and all valves need to be thoroughly flushed with fresh water after every dive day. I also recommend a water hose attachment that connects with the inflator that forces water through the lever inflator system and into the BC. DSS makes one of these as does ScubaMax and Trident. If you have ever taken apart an inflator used in salt water that has not been routinely cleaned you understand the problem.

I always soak my gear for several hours, including the BC. And I remove the inflator hose and fill the BC with water to flush it out, so the attachment isn't needed.

I have had my I3 for about a year, 40+ dives and no issues with the lever. I make sure to rinse it in fresh water after every dive day. After a week of diving, I soak it in fresh water before flying home and then soak it again once I'm back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom