Need an expert for conshelf xiv overhaul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to get my Conshelf XIV regulator overhauled. Does anyone know of a guru for these regs?

Thanks,

Jeff

the conshelf is very easy to work on.... A lot of us dive them.... Post in the vintage or DIY forums.... Parts can be had at www.vintagedoublehose.com

Jim....

Conshelf XIV is a simple reg and can be serviced by any reasonably competent tech. Parts are readily available.

Agreed but if you want a shop, I am pretty sure Bryan at Vintage Double Hose in Tampa does them.

Hello Jeff,

Any Authorized Aqua Lung dealer can service the Conshelf XIV. You can find a dealer here:
Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment middle of the page on the left. Us store locator. forgive me if you are looking for something else but this would be the best way to locate an Authorized Technician.

Hello Jeff,

Any Authorized Aqua Lung dealer can service the Conshelf XIV. You can find a dealer here:
Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment middle of the page on the left. Us store locator. forgive me if you are looking for something else but this would be the best way to locate an Authorized Technician.

The only trouble with most LDS tech's is they tell the person that the regulator is old and not really safe to be diving.... Then tell them that all these guys rebuilding them with non-factory parts are risking their lives and are crazy.. Then sell you a "new regulator" that's not even close to being as good as the old conshelf .... Call Bryan at vintage double hose.... Nice guy and straight shooter..

Jim..

ScubaToys recently overhauled my Conshelf 20 & Conshelf 22 regulators promptly, for a good price, and with no complaints that such ancient gear is too dangerous to use. I believe my regulators are essentially the same as the Conshelf XIV except for port details (and the 22 has plastic second stages).

The only trouble with most LDS tech's is they tell the person that the regulator is old and not really safe to be diving.... Then tell them that all these guys rebuilding them with non-factory parts are risking their lives and are crazy.. Then sell you a "new regulator" that's not even close to being as good as the old conshelf .... Call Bryan at vintage double hose.... Nice guy and straight shooter..

Jim..

this is EXACTLY what happened to me..

I have a conshelf 20 first and conschelf second and octo..

the tech told me the octo was too old and he could not get parts... he WOULD not touch it and took it off, took the hose off and plugged the port... AND charged me $150.00 for the other two.

i am going to crack it open and give it a shot.. seems pretty simple. I have rebuilt countless carbs, two stroke motorcycle and outboard motors, transmissions, motocross suspension, several car engines, and MANY other things... so I would think that this would not be exceedingly diffiult....

what special tools will i need?

this is EXACTLY what happened to me..

I have a conshelf 20 first and conschelf second and octo..

the tech told me the octo was too old and he could not get parts... he WOULD not touch it and took it off, took the hose off and plugged the port... AND charged me $150.00 for the other two.

i am going to crack it open and give it a shot.. seems pretty simple. I have rebuilt countless carbs, two stroke motorcycle and outboard motors, transmissions, motocross suspension, several car engines, and MANY other things... so I would think that this would not be exceedingly diffiult....

what special tools will i need?

Go back and ask if he will service a last generation Titan, not the new small one...promise you he will say yes.....that is exactly the same reg inside except it has a removable HP orifice, it uses the exact same parts kit....now how exactly can he get that kit but not the conshelf's. :) part number 900001

You don't "need" any special tools to service a Conshelf....unless you consider a circlip pliers special. That said, the HP stage is a bear to reassemble without an assembly tool, it can be done but you are lucky if you don't launch the parts across the room once or twice...been there, done that.
Besides common wrenches, it really helps if you have a good oring pick, circlip pliers and a HP assembly tool. The only 2 difficult parts of the reg is getting the HP Oring out and often times removing the diaphgarm. The oring is just careful work, the diaphgarm may take a little more work. I try to blow them out but in old ones they often will not come out. Brute force is then needed. I carefully cut an X across the center of the diaphgarm, pry up one of the legs and pull it out with a pair of pliers. You are going to replace the diaphgarm anyway so distroying it is not a problem. There is a brass button under the diaphgarm you try not to scratch but if you do, it's no big deal to buff out smooth with a little sand paper, a scratch on it is not a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom