Aqual Lung Sphera Mask: Alternative way to defog Plexisol ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vales1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi folks!

So I just got my AL Sphera Mask in the mail today for my upcoming dive trip in a couple of weeks. I know that this has a plastic lens so I started reading through the info sheets that came with it to find out how to prep and defog the mask. What I learned got me scratching my head.

USE AND MAINTENANCE: The Plexisol lenses are protected inside with a special fog-retarding treatment. To avoid damaging the inside of the lens and to preserve the anti-fog treatment, do not spit on it, or rub the lens with your fingers. Do not use anti-fog liquids other than our recommended one. The use of Aqua Sphere Fog Proof solution will prolong the life of the treatment.....avoid direct sunlight

WARNING: Do not touch or rub the inside of lenses to avoid damage. (They really stress on this). Avoid contact with solvents, detergents, alcohol, and anti fog liquids different from the recommended one. Do not look directly into the sun. ... use in water only.... Avoid as far as possible soaking the inside of the lenses.

.. Well I wish I had known about the Aqua Sphere Fog Proof solution when I bought this mask bec. right now It's a little too late for me to order one onine before my trip. With this mask being such a fragile glass slipper and with all the don'ts about what shouldn't come in contact with the inside lens, I wish Aqua Lung had specified on their website "WARNING: ONLY USE AQUA SPHERE FOG PROOF..." or even better, packaged it with the mask. I certainly would've paid the extra 5 bucks for it. None of the vendors I looked at prior to buying this mask mentioned it and I can only hope It's availabe where I'm going.

Question is, what are the alternative solutions to Aqua Sphere? Sea Gold is safe for plastics but needs to be rubbed in so I guess that's a no? Will baby shampoo work or will that also damage the Plexisol lens?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

i know it's not the answer you're looking for, and I can't give any feedback on the mask in question, but it seems the easiest long term solution is to buy a normal mask with tempered glass lenses that you're allowed to touch.

Avoid as far as possible soaking the inside of the lenses.

You're even supposed to avoid getting the inside wet???

If I recall, even the Aqua Sphere requires that you gently apply with a finger (as opposed to more vigorous rubbing as you might on a glass lens), but I understand your caution. Since you still have a couple of weeks before your trip, are you finding that the Aqua Sphere product is not available anywhere?

i know it's not the answer you're looking for, and I can't give any feedback on the mask in question, but it seems the easiest long term solution is to buy a normal mask with tempered glass lenses that you're allowed to touch.
You're even supposed to avoid getting the inside wet???

I guess wetting is ok but not soaking which is what some people do (myself included) with their gear after a dive. The mask I'm currently using is the Hydrooptix Mega which I have been using for a little over 3 years now. It offers a 170 deg field of view, and enables me to see true size underwater. It's like watching hd. But the only downside is I have to wear contacts to use it. I would've bought another one but the company is currently not selling, so I thought I'd try the Sphera since it claims the same field of view and the Plexisol lens supposedly lessens refraction underwater compared to traditional glass lens, also making objects appear closer to their true size.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2013 at 12:06 PM ----------

If I recall, even the Aqua Sphere requires that you gently apply with a finger (as opposed to more vigorous rubbing as you might on a glass lens), but I understand your caution. Since you still have a couple of weeks before your trip, are you finding that the Aqua Sphere product is not available anywhere?

I'm currently in Iraq and mail usually takes between 2 - 3 weeks (extremely lucky if I get it in 2 weeks) so I don't have time to get it before I go on R&R.

I'll do some googling on that Aqua Sphere. Is baby shampoo a detergent?

Vales1,

sorry for the late response I had to confirm with the Aqua Sphere representative before posting to you.

the Sphera mask can be cleaned with your fingers and saliva with out scratching the lens however it will effect the anti fog layer that is present on the lens from the start. the direction given are for you to prolong that layer of protection however once this wears off you are free to use the defogger of choice providing that they are ok to use with plastics. The Aqua Sphere drops are recommended but not necessary and to my understanding the mask is ready to go without treatment out of the box. should you need further assistance or have questions please feel free to contact me

Aqua Sphere is a Aqua Lung company that sells swimming, aquatic exercise, and triathlon items. I would say that any solution that is safe for defogging plastic lenses or swim goggles will work. I use baby shampoo as a mask defog and I bet it will work fine. If you mix it 4 parts water to 1 part shampoo, squirt it on, swish it around so it covers the entire lens and then dump it out that will keep you from rubbing the lens with your fingers.

Note that I don't own that mask and if any of my advice ruins it...well I guess you needed Aqua Sphere Anti-Fog after all....

Thanks so much for clarifying that. The way I understood the information sheet, I thought I absolutely have to avoid contact with the inside of the lens. It's good to know I don't have to prep the mask before using it.

Btw, is baby shampoo ok to use with the Sphera?

Aqua Sphere is a Aqua Lung company that sells swimming, aquatic exercise, and triathlon items. I would say that any solution that is safe for defogging plastic lenses or swim goggles will work. I use baby shampoo as a mask defog and I bet it will work fine. If you mix it 4 parts water to 1 part shampoo, squirt it on, swish it around so it covers the entire lens and then dump it out that will keep you from rubbing the lens with your fingers.

Note that I don't own that mask and if any of my advice ruins it...well I guess you needed Aqua Sphere Anti-Fog after all....

:crafty: Nice disclaimer. Turns out you're right. I got a pm from our AL Tech and I learned that all the precautionary measures pertain to prolonging the anti-fog coating on the lens - which wears out after a few times anyway according to other forums i've read.(Some even report it's ineffective right off the bat.) Still it would be nice to have something in the manual stating that conventional methods of defogging plastics will work after the coating wears out.
So i'll stick to my usual Sea gold and baby shampoo. I'll report back after a month or so.:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom