Aqua Lung Legend vs Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to put together my first dive gear set, but I'd like to start out with something that will last. I understand that the major difference between the Legend and the Legend LX is the master breathing system. I was just wondering how much difference there is between a reg with and without the MBS? Is it worth the extra $100?

Looks like a gimmick to me. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I dive the previous model LX......it's a good reg. I have not used the regular legend, but from what I understand its a good reg as well. Can't see you going wrong either way honestly.

The breathing adjustment can be kinda handy (although you can adjust the base model reg on the surface with an Allen wrench). If price is really a problem you won't go wrong. However, be aware that you very well might wish you hadn't been cheap in the future. For the extra hundred you will have peace of mind that you have just about the best reg possible. Another option available through the Aqualung channels is the Apeks XTX50. An awesome reg as well, with venturi and breathing resistance adjustment, but costs the same as the base model Legend. Full disclosure, what I use and love it.

My advise is get the dive shop to let you dive both and pick the one you like. As for the inhalation adjustment I like it and think in the long run you will to. I have several regs but my favorite is the Legend LX Supreme, it is my main reg. I have two, one is about 6 years old and the other about 3 years old.

Thanks for the input! I guess, I'm leaning more towards the LX. I've heard that the LX Supreme is for coldwater, but if you look at the comparison charts on the aqualung website, the only difference is that it has the lip shield. It appears that the LX has the same coldwater resistance features...

You're right about the difference with the supreme. The only solid difference is the lip shield. There is in fact a difference in how they are tuned, but if you want to you can just ask the reg tech to tune it differently when you have it serviced.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The Legend and Legend LX are both fine regulators. The difference is the adjustments you are allowed to make to the second stage while diving.

On a second stage you basically have two adjustments, spring adjustment for cracking pressure (how much vacuum is required to start the air flowing) and venturi assist ( how much does the path of the air assist to keep the pressure present once the air is flowing). I am sure others can provide better descriptions of each.

On the Legend you get to control the venturi assist, the effort required to get the air to flow (cracking pressure) can not be adjusted during the dive. On the LX you can control the cracking pressure and the amount of venturi assist is tied to how this is adjusted (MBS - Master Breathing System). The vendor has decided in advance how much venturi assist you get based on how you set the cracking pressure. Atomic Aquatics allows you to adjust the cracking pressure (pretty minimal adjustments), but the amount of venturi assist is determined by your depth (AFC - Automatic Flow Control). The deeper you are, the more venturi assist you get...regardless of cracking pressure adjustments. Again, the vendor has made the decision of how much venturi assist you get.

For the majority of divers, having one adjustment is fine. Some regulators provide no user adjustments. Other regulators provide both.

I prefer some control over cracking pressure, so I would pick the LX. It is the regulator I purchased for my son and when I dive it I find it to be an excellent regulator.

I just picked up a pair of the base legends. Dive shop owner made a great point, what are you going to do, make it more difficult to breathe with the adjustment knob? Not worth it for me.

I'd go with the LX for sure. The adjustment is handy when you do your entries into the water from a boat or when you are surface swimming and potentially you are using your snorkel. The system AL has is great!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom