aqua lung essential package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bada3003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently got my PADI OW certification and am shopping around for a scuba package. One called Aqua Lung Essential Scuba Package comprised of

Pro LT BC
Titan reg
ABS octopus
ZOOP 2 gauge console

caught my attention. It's offered by two Internet outlets: diversdirect.com and scubacenter.com

My question is: are Aqual Lung warranties valid if I purchase the package from these Internet sellers? Also, I don't see these packages offered at Aqua Lung's web site or other sellers such as scuba.com and leisurepro.com which seem more established. Should that be a concern?

Thanks.

From what i understand you are fine, i KNOW that divers direct is an authorized dealer for Aqualung and that is a quite good package of gear.

Bada3003,

I do not recommend buying any dive gear form Leisurepro.com as they are NOT an Aqua Lung Dealer and will be void of warranty. diversdirect.com and scubacenter.com are both dealers that are authorized.
I can not speak of pricing as I am a technician but the packages are not a bad setup for a beginner perhaps the community would chime in as far as their likes and dislikes.
If purchased from an Authorized Aqua Lung Dealer all standard US warranties will apply.

That package from Divers Direct is a pretty good price. You can get a similar setup, with Zoop, reg and DSS backplate and wing, from our LDS for about the same amount of money, though.

Thank you all for the info. I would like to buy my scuba package from LDS but wasn't clear they carried the Aqua Lung package (their web site has a link to Aqua Lung's web site which doesn't list packages). I will call them to check. The price at diversdirect.com and scubacenter.com seemed pretty good: about $400 less than what the individual components would cost.

I don't know if Aqualung is the one putting the packages together, or if the individual vendors are doing it, but I suspect the latter. You can talk to your shop about whether they will make you a "package" price on those pieces of gear, if they carry them. They may or may not be willing to match the on line prices. Be prepared for some resistance or even anger at the fact that you have been shopping on line, and expect them to meet on line prices.

Since they're all authorized dealers your LDS should probably be able to match prices thru Aqualung for you as well. The only way that wouldn't be the case is if due to Divers Direct's volume they get better pricing to pass on to you. Aqualung is one mfr. that still controls their minimum pricing thru their dealer agreements so no one can discount it substantially.

My other question is do you want a Jacket BC? You probably learned in one but that's often because a) they're cheaper in a bulk purchase and b) they're one size fits all - which suggest they're not as optimal. Most people upgrade to back-inflate models from jackets, very few the other way.

Look at the BC's on the Aqualung Store page, 7/12 are back-inflate models - as is the entire Apeks line. Apeks gear tends to appeal to more technical divers - you're not going to see a lot of jacket BC's in cave/wreck diving typically. Most look for the inherent control and ability to dial in your buoyancy that a back wing provides. I like mine (Zeagle) since I have nothing in front of me except the jacket and flat pockets.

The Wave is a rental BC targeted at LDS's and dive resorts - it's a jacket. So maybe it's 7/11? Aqualung historically has been a jacket mfr. also yet more of their line is currently back-inflate. It's similar with other well regarded brands - Zeagle only sells back-inflate models. Scubapro about 50/50 but their whole X-Tek line is also only back-inflate.

I know it's not really a fair criteria but the better - and pricier - models in most mfr's lines tend to be back-inflate. Of course that may just be good marketing...

Copied directly from the Dimension I3 page:
By placing the air cell behind them, the diver is more streamlined.

Yes, my LDS is owned by nice folks and avoiding haggling over prices was a potential concern. I did get high end fins, snorkel, and boots from the shop (prescription mask from an Internet seller), in part, in show of support. The scuba package is in a different price range so showing support isn't the first priority.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 03:59 PM ----------

Thanks for the comments on the back-inflate BCs. Yes, during OW training we used jacket BCs so that's the extent of my experience. When floating on the surface with the jacket inflated, it was pressing a bit on my chest which was uncomfortable but not too bad.

My first choice of scuba package was

Cressi Air Travel BC Scuba package

whose BC, I believe, is back-inflated. It had good reviews on the Scuba Lab site. Package price is in the same ballpark as the Aqua Lung essential. I'm leaning more toward the latter because my LDS would be able to service the gear. Travel wise the Cressi would be better.

As you can tell now, SCUBA is gonna be an expensive hobby.

As others have pointed out take your time and try the various styles (Jacket, Back Inflate, Backplate and Wing) and figure out which you like the most. The best way to do this (if your very much an average size diver) is to ask others if you can try out their gear or if your in a larger scuba market, see what the various LDS offer as far as rentals.

Yes, it's certainly on the more expensive side of things. Especially if I were to travel to tropical places with gear in tow. As to scuba gear per se, a good set of irons plus driver and fairway wood costs about what I spent today (scuba package + wet suit). So it's not too bad, all in all.

An update:

Just got back from my LDS. The Aqua Lung package is through Aqua Lung so getting the same deal wasn't a problem. The owner, being a nice guy, replaced the ABS octo (which he didn't like) with a more sturdy model (titan octo) and gave a price break on top of that, so the total came below the two Internet sites I mentioned. The LDS had a special on wet suits, so got the 7mm Aqua Lung AquaFlex at a very good price.

How much diving I'll be able to do remains to be seen. In the midwest, quarries seem to be the main venue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom