Purchased my first new Aqualung BCD - is this OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased my first BCD today, its an entry level Aqualung Wave. As this is my first BCD purchase, I want to check if the following is not a fault that needs fixing/repair:

The bottom rear dump valve has some material sticking out from it, it looks kind of like shiny flexible plastic material. See photos. Is this normal or something minor that does not need attention?

There is a bit of small fraying also on one of the front pockets. Its so minimal, I'm not really worried about it.

Also, the end of the power inflator hose has no 'cap' on it to stop foreign matter getting in. I notice all the display models had a cap on the end of the hose. But the one which the store gave me new does not. See photo.

The thing I really would appreciate some comment about is the material protuding from the rear bottom dump valve. Is this a safety issue and should the BCD be returned for this? Or is this something not to worry about.

Thanks for your input with this question!

Attachments

• P1020458.jpg
    P1020458.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 106
  • P1020459.jpg
    P1020459.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 109
  • P1020460.jpg
    P1020460.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 118
  • P1020462.jpg
    P1020462.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 127
  • P1020466.jpg
    P1020466.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P1020470.jpg
    P1020470.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 114
  • P1020474.jpg
    P1020474.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 114
ok do yourself a favor Orally inflate the jacket to max leave it alone if it stays up great if not then spray the jacket with soapy water and locate the fault (tighten all fixtures etc) the little fray bits are nothing to worry about !
that jacket is a classic hard wearing unit have fun using it

Doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the deflator. Just some surplus material. If you blow air in to it by mouth, it should stay inflated, if so, you're good.
There should be a cap on the inflator. If it's of any use remains to be debated. I lost mine 250 dives ago... But still ask the shop to fix it. It's new so it should be there.

If the bc stays inflated all is well. The end of the hose that you show in your photo is the end that screws into the first stage of your reg. Most are shipped with a protective cap, but it's not a big deal that it is not present. Once you attach the hose to your reg you will probably never use the cap again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom