Mounting a Canister Light to an Aqualung Pearl i3 BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My girlfriend has an Aqualung Pearl i3 BCD, and she wants to get a canister light. Something about her L&M lights not as bright as my canister light. So what are some of the recommended ways to mount a canister light to the Pearl i3?

---------- Post added October 7th, 2013 at 02:14 PM ----------

Before I get the recommendation of a BP&W setup, and this thread going way out into left field. I have recommended a BP&W, but she wants to keep her Pearl i3.

So this about mounting a canister light to the Pearl i3, not about a BP&W.

One thing I found out was the mounting a canister to any kind of jacket BC has issues. I bought a canister early on and was diving a jacket. The only way I was able to mount it securely was to take the back pad off by unscrewing it and making some straps out of 1 inch nylon webbing and running those through the bolts with some 1 inch d rings on them. Then I was able to use zip ties to tie the canister on through the d rings. Yes it was dumb looking but it worked until I sorted things out and bought a BC that a canister was intended to be used with.

Looking at pictures of the BC there is no good way to mount any kind of decent sized canister on it. It doesn't have a waist belt to slide the light onto. Other than the cam bands there's no webbing to slide anything on. About the only thing I can see is a couple d rings on the bottom to hang a light off of.

I'd scratch the canister idea and get one of the newer kick ass hand held's that don't require a canister.

One thing I found out was the mounting a canister to any kind of jacket BC has issues. I bought a canister early on and was diving a jacket. The only way I was able to mount it securely was to take the back pad off by unscrewing it and making some straps out of 1 inch nylon webbing and running those through the bolts with some 1 inch d rings on them. Then I was able to use zip ties to tie the canister on through the d rings. Yes it was dumb looking but it worked until I sorted things out and bought a BC that a canister was intended to be used with.

Looking at pictures of the BC there is no good way to mount any kind of decent sized canister on it. It doesn't have a waist belt to slide the light onto. Other than the cam bands there's no webbing to slide anything on. About the only thing I can see is a couple d rings on the bottom to hang a light off of.

I'd scratch the canister idea and get one of the newer kick ass hand held's that don't require a canister.

^That. The canister light is a part of the system. It doesn't work well if you don't take into account the rest of the system. If she wants the power and won't give up the system she has for the improved one, you're stuck looking into the available technology that doesn't require the system.

Otherwise I suppose you could try to put it on a weight belt or something... but it won't be comfortable or optimal by any stretch of the imagination.

(the girlfriend here) :)

I already have a handheld Sola Video 2000 (usually mounted on top of my camera rig), however the burn time is not good enough for my Pacific Northwest diving (where spot is better than flood) to do two dives in a row. It's the best burn time available for all of the wicked handheld Sola's... so I really wanted the bright LED and longer batter power of a canister.

(the girlfriend here) :)

I already have a handheld Sola Video 2000 (usually mounted on top of my camera rig), however the burn time is not good enough for my Pacific Northwest diving (where spot is better than flood) to do two dives in a row. It's the best burn time available for all of the wicked handheld Sola's... so I really wanted the bright LED and longer batter power of a canister.

Buy a different brand high powered video light that has replaceable battery (i-Torch comes to mind). The i-Torch light I have came with two batteries and I bought a third one and I replace the battery after each dive. The sola the battery is built in and thus you need to buy two lights. i-Torch and Intova have new video lights that are very high powered and can last longer than the Sola 2000 and you can replace the battery after each dive.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2013 at 07:37 AM ----------

(rechargeable batteries)

Not a perfect solution, but here goes. Get a piece of heavy duty material and have a someone sew around the bladder behind the weight pouches and under the elastic band. This will give you an attachment point for the canister and the elastic will help keep it in place. If you are VERY careful you can sew an attachment point on the piping.

Check out brightness and run times on the new Halcyon handheld EOS. I doubt it will beat your 21W HID, but it should fix the issues posed by the L&Ms. And given the high cost, she can feel like she bought a can light in at least one way :wink:

I mounted a canister to my axiom i3 using nothing more than a loop of shock cord. Tuck it through the cam band and then slide the canister through it ie the loop above and below the cam band. Route the cable up and then under your arm. Perfect and hasn't moved once

I mounted a canister to my axiom i3 using nothing more than a loop of shock cord. Tuck it through the cam band and then slide the canister through it ie the loop above and below the cam band. Route the cable up and then under your arm. Perfect and hasn't moved once

Thanks! That sounds easy and do-able :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom