Can I assemble hoses into the First Stage myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimonUnderwater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I went to my LDS today and purchased my first BCD & Regulator Set.

I purchased the Aqualung Titan Classic and an Apeks SPG.

In my excitement I forgot to ask if they could install the octopus, inflator hose and SPG into the First Stage.

I've had a look at some tutorials and it looks really simple to do. Just take out the covers with an allan key, place the various hoses in via hand and then tighten a little bit with a spanner (but not too much).

If I do this, is my gear still covered by warranty?

Are there any Risks associated with doing this myself? I'm not much of a handyman but this looks well within my ability.

Only thing I could find was:

[h=3]Regulators:[/h]Limited Lifetime Warranty
This warranty will cover the original owner of the regulator against defects in parts or workmanship for the lifetime of the regulator if the regulator is:

1. Purchased from an Authorized Aqua Lung America Dealer
  2. Inspected or serviced annually by an Authorized Aqua Lung America Dealer as outlined in the "Free Parts for Life" Program
Thanks in advance!

It terrified me the first time I did it. When I did it I could not believe how easy it was and how little there was to worry about.

It's easy, you have the 2 main ideas, install the hoses by HAND until they snug up then gently snug a little more with a wrench. If they leak, more torque IS NOT the cure, orings do not need/use torque to seal. Dissamble and look for a bad oring, damaged sealing surface or some crud in the sealing area.

Tighten JUST enough with a wrench that you cannot un-tighten by hand if you grasp the hose-fitting junction and give it a hard twist.

Best advice I got on it... Tighten up just a little bit tighter than screwing in a lightbulb. If you hold the wrench down by the fitting with your fingers, not up at the end in your fist, you'll have a really good feel for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom