Old, Portly, New diver looking for a bcd - Axiom or Axiom i3 -- I need guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htatton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am 71 years old, certified OW last year have 10 ocean dives and love it. I have struggled with the rented BCD's. I'm 5'11", 260 lbs, pretty good shape but a little round in the middle. Strong for my age but with a bad back.

From what I have read the Axiom or Axiom i3 without a cummerbund may be just what I need to cinch up and keep the BCD from riding up when I'm on the surface. Is this correct?

I really like the idea of the Axiom i3 but it doesn't look like the XXL will work with a rented set of regulators / gauges. I'm not sure I can afford full kit right now.

I get along very well under the water (still learning buoyance control) but seem to struggle getting stable on the surface and my old back has a tough time with the weight of a full kit. I'm hoping the 'wrapture' harness will help.

Since my local shop doesn't have the Axiom in stock I have no way to try it before buying. What is Aqua Lungs return policy if it doesn't fit or I hate it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hyrum

well, here's the low down on your problems.

Stab jackets stink, everything about them is going to cause you problems, especially the cinching up. The only thing that will keep a bc from riding up at the surface is a crotch strap, there's no ifs and or buts about it. Neither of those bc's will make you happy long term and if you're loving the game this much already, just get the gear you really need now and be done with it.

Since you posted in the Aqualung forum I'm supposed to be nice and keep discussions to Aqualung only, so look at the Apeks lines for BP/W's, even with the bad back, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of the game. Expect a PM from me shortly with the answers I would like to give now.

Hyrum,

Congrats on your open water certification and beginning your adventures underwater. The Axiom/Axiom i3 should be compatible with most regulators including rentals. the Axiom I3 comes with a longer hose that would need to be used attached to the rental instead of the inflation hose the rental unit most likely has.
As was stated by Tbone1004 the best option to stop a BCD from riding up is a crotch strap.

Buy with confidence! If your Aqua Lung product falls short of your expectations, simply return to your Authorized Aqua Lung dealer within 30-days with the original receipt to exchange it for another Aqua Lung product.

As for the back wing/ back inflate BCD it is a personal preference and you would have to try it out and decide if it is right for you. I am more then happy to answer your questions.

Thank you Tbone1004 for respecting the forum etiquette it is appreciated.

Apeks WTX is the bp/w system and also their answer to the Dive Rite Transpac for reference. Good stuff, the D18 is a spiffy little singles wing for warm water diving.

I am also the owner of a bad lower back and a 'too damned big' physique. If you have trouble getting around while geared up, make sure to do a few things to help yourself.
Pay attention to every ounce that your gear weighs. Carry what you need, but don't carry anything extraneous & don't overweight yourself.
If you are diving off a charter boat, mention your situation when you book your seat and get there early. Snag the seat closest to the dive ladder/door. There is no reason to make things harder for yourself and those young guys don't mind the walk.
I have a 2 wheeled hand truck that I have modified to carry tanks. Use whatever equipment cart is available.

On some six-pack boats (where there are six or fewer divers on a smaller boat) you can toss your semi-inflated rig off the boat with it tied off to a line, hop in the water, pop in the reg and just float into position to buckle up, dump the air in your BC and then descend. This is a skill everyone ought to practice but it just takes a few tries to make it second nature. (This is how I do it off of my boat. When I get older, I may install a little jib crane. :cool2: )
Aqua Lung has good stuff. Try til you find what you like. Get what you need and keep diving til you're 90!

Pay attention to every ounce that your gear weighs. Carry what you need, but don't carry anything extraneous & don't overweight yourself.

If you're following this route, literally the only rig that meets that requirement is a SS backplate/wing with SS cam bands, and one piece hogarthian harness btw. They don't weigh much more than any other standard size BC, but you take on average 8lbs off of your weight belt. Just an fyi...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom