Dan Insurance Not A Deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently lost a 35mm lens and flooded the camera after contacting the insurance Co H20 (DAN) they paid on the flood only. I found it was cheaper to buy a used camera and lens than it was to get it repaired, this I did.
Going into the H20 web site I deleted the old stuff and put on the new camera and lens...thank you, you owe $15 !. I called H20 and they said this is correct if you delete equipment you get no credit for the time remaining and you have to pay for the new equipment. So I said my premium for all my equipment comes to over $300 per year so if I cancel it a month later and put one new item on I lose the $300 and get charged for the new item? she said this is correct. I will not be renewing with DAN

If you are a home owner, it would benefit you to check with them to add an "All perils" rider on your equipment.

For all my scuba gear and camera equipment it costs me $54 a year, this covers any type of loss what so ever. I can tell them I ran my stuff over with a car, covered. Mysterious disappearances are covered, I just need a police report.

dscheck:
If you are a home owner, it would benefit you to check with them to add an "All perils" rider on your equipment.

I'll second the Homeowners Policy coverage. I carry a rider with USAA for all my UW Ikelite cases, strobes, the digital cameras, and my laptop computer (ala portable darkroom) at a cost under $60/yr.

Only had to make one claim two years ago for a flooded case and they were very quick in paying my claim.

dscheck:

For all my scuba gear and camera equipment it costs me $54 a year, this covers any type of loss what so ever. I can tell them I ran my stuff over with a car, covered. Mysterious disappearances are covered, I just need a police report.

:crafty: I wish I could do that but after 20 years with the same insurance Co with no claims they dropped us said they were dropping all house's over a certain age (hurricanes). I found out then all insurance Co were doing this for Florida homes and the only insurance we could get was through a government one...household effects not included, nothing else we could do, part of the price of living in Fl.

household effects not included

part of the price of living in Fl.

That sucks

Hey, just noted you list your location as Largo, my father lives off South Belcher, I try and make it down there a few times a year. Maybe I'll have to look you up the next time I'm down there.

dscheck:
That sucks

Hey, just noted you list your location as Largo, my father lives off South Belcher, I try and make it down there a few times a year. Maybe I'll have to look you up the next time I'm down there.

I live a couple of miles west of Belcher off of Westbay PM if you want phone #

I have found the DAN recommended insurance company very hard to work with. And that system of entering item by item on the internet is BS !!

DEPP will take a spreadsheet and work with you. I have never had a claim with DEPP but they sure know customer service better.

After my initial post on this I sent an email to H2o with a link to it. About an hour later I received a call from them and this is how it was explained to me.
Had I kept the flooded camera on my policy it would have still been covered. But as it was cheaper to buy a used camera that is what I did, taking the old equipment off the policy and replacing it with the new (different serial # ) but still the same amount of coverage but it would not be covered, this is the policy of H20. It doe's not make sense to me but it is written in there policy.
I do have to give kudos to them for being very prompt on all matters, paying, settling disputes and just questions in general.

I agree with the DEPP recommendation. I just sent them my spreadsheet with the info on where, when, how much, serial number and service info. They did the rest.

Ann Marie:
I agree with the DEPP recommendation. I just sent them my spreadsheet with the info on where, when, how much, serial number and service info. They did the rest.

While we have been unfortunate enough to need to file a claim a couple of times with DEPP, their service has been stellar! This last one was a virtually new Ikelite DS 125 strobe that flooded during our dive trip to Bonaire in Feb. All we had to pay was the deductable on the new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom