Pinoy diving with disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weremermaid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ah well, it had to surface at some point, this thing about me being a handicapped diver (also watersports nut). Thank you Caloy, for your kind words. It is easy at times and at the same time, not easy for things everyone else takes for granted. I have had some bad falls due to slippery tile floors or just plain bad balance. Methinks I have the world's lumpiest head, maybe that's why I like being cradled in very forgiving water.

Here's my little story, post #17.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=46182&page=2&pp=10&highlight=one-legged

Years ago, I was with a bunch of deaf guys and we were all learning to waterski. Later on, I bumped into a friend who mentioned these same guys also took scuba class. The funniest thing was they were gossiping underwater so much (signing) and the dive instructor who could speak in air was now rendered "dumb" UW. The dive instructor said he had to swat the guys a few times to keep them focused on their scuba lessons, they were so excited to see marine life.

That got me to thinking, why can't the scuba world adopt proper sign language for UW dive communications?

Anyway, if you guys have friends who are handicapped who also dive or want to learn to dive (but are too scared to ask), refer them here. I haven't had time to join any disability-type support groups but perhaps it's time. Let me know if your friends need a friendly chat, I'm always glad to help the disabled/differently-abled get their confidence (and life) back.

Do post your stories of diving with handicapped folk here, I can't be the only disabled diver in the Philippines.

Cherrie
PS. If anyone has any abandoned x-small split-fin (the mate of which was usually lost in a current dive), I'd be glad to give it a new home. Ha ha!

thats really admirable! i hope you dont mind i cut and paste this thread and referr to some of my friends. there is so much potential here in the philippines!

btw, i lost a dive rite fin in anilao if you find it let me know:)

He Cherrie

I certified to teach thru the HSAI...I do have a mild disability...neuropathy of the feet...doen't affect my diving any and I also have a "monofin". It's a loot of fun to use

Spoon:
thats really admirable! i hope you dont mind i cut and paste this thread and referr to some of my friends. there is so much potential here in the philippines!

btw, i lost a dive rite fin in anilao if you find it let me know:)

Thank you Spoon! Will be glad to try to be of help your friends, as long as they also want to help themselves.

I was told a few months ago that someone tried to organize an intro to scuba session for a group of handicapped guys, but the plans never materialized. Just the pool session alone would have been fun. Hope that plan pushes thru at some point.

Sorry to hear you lost your fin, hope it is found soon.

cudachaser:
He Cherrie

I certified to teach thru the HSAI...I do have a mild disability...neuropathy of the feet...doen't affect my diving any and I also have a "monofin". It's a loot of fun to use

Hi Joe!
Your neuropathy of the feet - is that caused by diabetes? Filipino food has too much sugar, we'll have to watch your diet when you and family come diving in the Philippines. Come visit us!

Of the monofin you use, did you make it yourself or is it a finis wave monofin or other brand? If you made it yourself, could you send me a photo?

We're thinking of rigging up a monofin for me with some glue, acrylic sheet, rivets and an old fin as base foot pocket. A bit of discussion with more experienced dive friends on whether the width might be a hindrance in strong current, also how much strain it'll do to my only ankle after some time finning. I do have a history of ankle injury, but then again I'm always moving around.

But I've tried a monofin previously and it does make for wickedly fast swimming. If any of the leg amputees trained under HSAI have adopted fins for themselves, do let me know, I'm interested to see their solutions. Thanks!

Cherrie

Back
Top Bottom