HID or Doubles...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
Very slow day here at work so I will toss one out for input. I am going to be/am diving mainly in the NC area, coastal wrecks and quarries with the occasional trip (4 times/yr.)down to Fla. for cavern diving and the extremely occasional trip to Largo or beyond for reef diving.

I have all of my basic gear, OWater bp/wing setup. If I was going to make another major purchase, would you all recommend a nice HID light (EE Pro6) or invest in a set of doubles/larger wing/extra reg for the setup?

I will be moving into the tech arena slowly here, just wondering about the two items and what I need to look at/think about. Either of these is down the road after at least 100 dives or so.

Tommy

weeelllll .....

Doubles are nice but heavy and if you don't NEED the
gas capacity I'd say buy the light and buy the doubles
when you are ready to start learning to use doubles.

UP,

Why the Pro4? It seems like for 50$ or so more you get the Pro6 with much more burn time, and the option to go 18watt if you want. (though very unlikely for me)

Tommy

Originally posted by tombiowami
Why the Pro4?
1. Save the $50 toward that set of doubles... are you rich?
2. Burn time with a 10w is 240 minutes on the Pro4... you going to need even that much?
3. Burn time with an 18w is 120 minutes on the Pro4... you going to need that much time or light? And the 18w light head & lid would be an additional $600 down the road... see the doubles slipping further away???
4. Pro4 is lighter & smaller... do you need more weight? Lead is cheaper.

There, that should get you a start at thinkin'

HID and a sea-elite manifold for whatever tanks you may currently own perhaps.A set of double al80s could be as lo as $460 locally.

If you want a nice replica of a light a freind of mine built me, purchase a EE Helious HID. The new light uses a NiMH battery which has the same burn time as the bigger Lead Acid battery but are 3 times smaller.
Its kind of funny about EE's light, my buddy went to EE and tried to sell them on his light idea with prototype in hand a couple of months before they came out with them. They kind of have a strikingly exact appearance.

He turned my MLS1 HID into one of these new NiMH cannisters and I absolutely love it. All milled Delrin. Dont even notice I have it on when I'm on the boat let alone under water. EE Helious is very expensive, mine wasn't.:)

Redundancy?
You don't need no stinking redundancy!!

Doubles, hands down.

Would you rather see or breathe?

Tombiowami,
I would recommend the most burn time you can get. When you next come to Florida to cave dive, the diving day is often limited by one's light, not one's ability to get gas or bottom time(assuming a little deco).
We use the MLS1 (death can) a lot of the time due to the fact that replacement batteries are only $30. We carry 2 charged packs and don't have any problems as this is 8 + hours of light.
I purchased a couple of the Sarteks and really enjoy them as well. With the wet connect, I can carry 2 heads and 2 cans (mounted to BP) and would have to have a MAJOR catastrophe to lose primary, even in the 6th hour of a dive.

Cheers and good luck with the choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom