http://www.diveheart.org/

Portland CT. Quarry dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbg40

Contributor
Reaction score
On June 18th and 19th the 40 acre portland quarry will be open to any, and all certified divers to come and enjoy. Also invited are Scuba shops, to display their services, and dive clubs and members. If all goes well, food and drinks will be provided, The hope is to bring area divers to the quarry to show off the plans to turn it into a dive center/water park in the near future. the backers will invest nearly two million dollars into the project over the next fiew years to open a full featured water, and dive park/ training facility.
The plans for the facility will be on display at the promontory point. Also on that weekend will be the annual clean up of the area in, and around the quarry. I hope to see many of the area divers here to help show support for what will be an exciting asset to divers and their family's to enjoy. Plans will include rafts, slides, rock climbing walls, a camp ground trails,picnic areas, and of course, diving and training! Come for a dive, and if you care to, help is allways welcome! There may be a crane on site to pull the fiew cars from the quarry as well. Please come on out to meet, and support the ones responsible for bringing this site to life. the plans have been a long time in development, and are close to reality. come over and have some fun, I look foward to meeting other divers there. Bring a friend, and your gear!

I know this is an old post. But I was wondering if you knew the water temps at depth this time of year...thinking about doing this dive on Saturday. Also they have a disclaimer saying that rental gear may not be available.....do they tend to run low on tanks and weights on the weekends?

This post would probably be better served in the New England section, but since i bumped into it I'll give my thoughts

Current temps - I can say that as of a couple weeks ago. the thermocline was at about 25-25 feet and below that the temp dropped rapidly to 39* at about 55 feet. I was there last Sept and it was all the way up to 42* at the same depth, though the thermocline was a little deeper - closer to 30 ft.

I've read that there's another deeper thermocline but I haven't been deeper so no idea what depth nor what the temps are at the deepest parts (supposedly about 90 feet)

Regarding gear - I can't say for certain but I'd be surprised if you have an issue. Most people bring their own weights and tanks (wife and I ave weights but rent tanks). I was there last year for the DUI drysuit demo weekend and they had a van full of rental tanks from Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom