Best Warm water spearfishing location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best places in the world to go warm water spearfishing/lobstering? I'm looking for calm seas, good viz and no legal issues. I've heard lots of people go to the Bahamas and Mexico and ignore the laws because there is no enforcement but I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Third world country jails can't be good.

Offshore from Canaveral to the NC/SC border,the Florida Middle grounds and finally from the Marquesas to the Dry Tortugas.All have what you asked for.I put the East Coast first because of the greater chance of pelagics as well as bottom fish& lobster.Temps will average over 72 from around April to December and vis offshore is often very good.

What about the Virgin Islands? Do they allow spearfishing/lobstering year round there?

Louisiana Oil Rigs.....hands down tops.....You never know what is going to swim on by

bober99:
What's the best places in the world to go warm water spearfishing/lobstering? I'm looking for calm seas, good viz and no legal issues. I've heard lots of people go to the Bahamas and Mexico and ignore the laws because there is no enforcement but I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Third world country jails can't be good.

I can vouch for the Bahamas, you do not want to go to jail there. As a good dive citizen you should not be breaking the rules anyway. There are too few enfourcer there and many do get away with not following the rules, but can you afford to be one of the ones that does get caught?

As for the spearing, you must us a hand spear or pole spear, this limits the distance and sometimes the size of the prey that you go after. I had the honor of living there for a 1 1/2, it is incredable and offers some fine spear fishing. I have speared Mahi-Mahi, Grouper, Hogs, and different types of snappers. All proved to be great. Oh, did I say that you can not usea tank while you spear? you can not. In 20 -30 feet of clear blue water you can do plenty. I recommend the trip, but follow the law.

from what i hear, offshore Jacksonville has awesome game fish

ScottZeagle:
The Florida Middlegrounds is the "Mecca" of spearfishing, imho...

Scott

Scott,

i live in Miami, FL.... and have heard of the middle grounds... but were exactly is it?

thanks,

Jorgy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom