Dsat Tec Deep Query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasona111

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just been planning out the classes I'd like to take over the next year or so, to get to a level of experience to take the Dsat Tec Deep course. Reading the requirements most are fairly obvious, but I'm just wondering if I was diving past 30m on a Nitrox blend, would that count as one dive for past 30m and nitrox? or would the dives all need to be seperated? I'm going to assume you cant count a 30+m dive as both 18+m and 30+m :wink:

Jase

I just started another thread on this DSAT course in the Technical section. As far as I know you should be able to count a 31 meter Nitrox dive as both a deep one and a Nitrox - AND a 18 meter (why not? - it is) You still need 100 dives though so out of that I wouldn't have thought the 18m dives would be a problem.

Kim:
I just started another thread on this DSAT course in the Technical section. As far as I know you should be able to count a 31 meter Nitrox dive as both a deep one and a Nitrox - AND a 18 meter (why not? - it is) You still need 100 dives though so out of that I wouldn't have thought the 18m dives would be a problem.

Thanks Kim. Now I just need to keep practicing to get the dives up there... although surprisingly that doesn't seem like a bad thing :)

Just to add to my original query, does anyone know of instructors teaching this course here in New Zealand? otherwise I guess I'll have to visit the US or Asia :)

jasona111:
Thanks Kim. Now I just need to keep practicing to get the dives up there... although surprisingly that doesn't seem like a bad thing :)

Just to add to my original query, does anyone know of instructors teaching this course here in New Zealand? otherwise I guess I'll have to visit the US or Asia :)

So you think I can actually log a dive to 33m (for example) on nitrox as one dive for each of the 3 requirements? Makes life much easier then

jasona111:
So you think I can actually log a dive to 33m (for example) on nitrox as one dive for each of the 3 requirements? Makes life much easier then

That is what I would have thought. It is a Nitrox dive, and it is a 30m dive. Presumably you have to go to 18m as well! :wink: Like I said before - by the time you have 100 dives with 15 to 30m, I'd be surprised if you didn't have at least another 25 to 18m - unless of course you have a very shallow local site where you do all your diving! :wink:

jasona111:

Yes......and No!

You can count the Nitrox dives at all times, but the deep dives only count as one.

25 dives below 60 feet, of those 15 must be below 100 feet. Now if your looking for some advice, I would say do 25 dives below 60 and another 15 below 100.

Some things they don't list as prerequisites, but you will be called upon to demonstrate during the course.

Frog Kick!
Swim backwards (no hands allowed)
Helicopter turns
Absolute control of buoyancy
Maintenance of proper horizontal body position
No mask swim at depth
Turning off and back on all three valves of your twins setup in less than 60 seconds, without loosing buoyancy control.
And lots of surprise S-drills throughout the course.

The course is split up into two categories, Level 1 (apprentice) and Level 2. If in the instructors opinion you need time to work on skills, because they are not fine tuned enough. You can receive a Level 1 certification.

This is a course that you can fail, and their are no refunds. So make sure you don't cut corners in order to make a log book look good. It becomes obvious to the instructor when you hit the water, and you are only cheating yourself.

It will be one of the toughest courses you will take, but the rewards and satisfaction once done are well worth it. So stay focused, and challenge yourself to exceeded the requirements, not just meet them. You'll be glad you did.

As far as I know Pete Mesley is the only DSAT Tec Deep instructor in this country.
There are plenty of TDI instructors however...

pt40fathoms:
Yes......and No!

You can count the Nitrox dives at all times, but the deep dives only count as one.

25 dives below 60 feet, of those 15 must be below 100 feet. Now if your looking for some advice, I would say do 25 dives below 60 and another 15 below 100.

Thats what I thought... makes more sense that way.

pt40fathoms:
Some things they don't list as prerequisites, but you will be called upon to demonstrate during the course.

Frog Kick!
Swim backwards (no hands allowed)
Helicopter turns
Absolute control of buoyancy
Maintenance of proper horizontal body position
No mask swim at depth
Turning off and back on all three valves of your twins setup in less than 60 seconds, without loosing buoyancy control.
And lots of surprise S-drills throughout the course.

I'm already planning on spending most of those upcoming 100 dives practicing all these things, I've already got Frog kicks sorta down, although they still feel weird. Backing up sounds difficult though. Most of my next 20-50dives I plan on getting boyancy perfected, including skills while hovering.

Azza:
As far as I know Pete Mesley is the only DSAT Tec Deep instructor in this country.
There are plenty of TDI instructors however...

Thanks Azza, I noticed there were a few TDI instructors, but none in Crustchurch, so I guess I'll be travelling for this course anyway.

jasona111:
Thanks Azza, I noticed there were a few TDI instructors, but none in Crustchurch, so I guess I'll be travelling for this course anyway.

There is Marty Blackledge here in wellington, or a mate of mine up in the waikato if you like. Let me know if you want their contact details
Cheers
Azza

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom