A Different Kind of Dive School (and a very entertaining book)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandiego1

Reaction score
I’m a newbie on this site, and I hope this is the appropriate place for this post. As a native San Diegan, I fell in love with diving at a young age. Over the course of the years, I have enjoyed the opportunity to dive with a handful of Navy SEALs who live in the area. They have always impressed with me their professionalism, and also their wicked sense of fun. Needless to say, among the special forces, SEALs are relatively unique in that they are scuba experts. They get to play with some cutting-edge equipment and perform fascinating nighttime training evolutions around San Diego.

As fellow diving enthusiasts, I thought you might be interested in a novel I just read which explores the truly insane selection process that SEALs are subjected to. Imagine spending 120 hours without sleep, all while fighting off hypothermia and performing muscle-melting training of the most sadistic variety (this is appropriately known as "Hell Week"). The training is absolute madness, and the author captures it all beautifully. Combat divers have a very interesting view of the world, and it takes a certain type of person to make it through the six months of hell that the training entails. I know I couldn’t do it, but reading about it was hugely entertaining (and occasionally very disturbing). The book covers the first 10 weeks of training, when the class size is whittled down by 75%. Strangely enough, most of the training takes place on San Diego’s Coronado Island, a few short miles from one of areas most exclusive neighborhoods. Who would have guessed?

Anyway, the book is “Suffer in Silence” by David Reid. For those interested in what it takes to make it through SEAL training, the book is invaluable. It’s a great read for nearly anyone. (Just keep it away from kids -- some of the language is rather strong).

sandiego1:
I’m a newbie on this site, and I hope this is the appropriate place for this post. As a native San Diegan, I fell in love with diving at a young age. Over the course of the years, I have enjoyed the opportunity to dive with a handful of Navy SEALs who live in the area. They have always impressed with me their professionalism, and also their wicked sense of fun. Needless to say, among the special forces, SEALs are relatively unique in that they are scuba experts. They get to play with some cutting-edge equipment and perform fascinating nighttime training evolutions around San Diego.

As fellow diving enthusiasts, I thought you might be interested in a novel I just read which explores the truly insane selection process that SEALs are subjected to. Imagine spending 120 hours without sleep, all while fighting off hypothermia and performing muscle-melting training of the most sadistic variety (this is appropriately known as "Hell Week"). The training is absolute madness, and the author captures it all beautifully. Combat divers have a very interesting view of the world, and it takes a certain type of person to make it through the six months of hell that the training entails. I know I couldn’t do it, but reading about it was hugely entertaining (and occasionally very disturbing). The book covers the first 10 weeks of training, when the class size is whittled down by 75%. Strangely enough, most of the training takes place on San Diego’s Coronado Island, a few short miles from one of areas most exclusive neighborhoods. Who would have guessed?

Anyway, the book is “Suffer in Silence” by David Reid. For those interested in what it takes to make it through SEAL training, the book is invaluable. It’s a great read for nearly anyone. (Just keep it away from kids -- some of the language is rather strong).

Sounds like a book I would enjoy. I really like the books by Dick Marcinko (sp?) that were in the Rogue Warrior series I believe.

jonix:
yup the rogue warrior series...very good reading :eyebrow:

Marcinko's first book (the Rogue Warrior) was entertaining. I thought he slipped a little after that. As far as SEAL books go, I think Reid's book would have to be my first pick, and then maybe Chuck Pfarrer (?)'s book about his life in the Teams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom