Noob question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wetsuit goes over my booties. Can't say it's right but it is kind of like a shingle effect although I don't think that really matters underwater.

H2ODog:
My wetsuit goes over my booties. Can't say it's right but it is kind of like a shingle effect although I don't think that really matters underwater.

That's a good way to describe it, the "shingle effect". It's actually more pronounced when you're swimming fast or into a current. If you have the booties on the outside of the wetsuit leg they will act like a parachute behind a drag racing car and "scoop" the water into your boots.

So based on that, I always put my wetsuit leg over my boots and I've never felt water shoot up my leg. Try it both ways, it may not affect you if you avoid fast swimming or currents.

i was told that if you rent a wetsuit and own your booties than the wetsuit goes on the outside because you dont want to stretch out your booties but being a rental suit it dont matter!!!

on the other hand i was told that if you own both than wear the booties on the outside because they are cheaper to replace when stretched out.

of course both ideas seem to have merit when you think about it...

i own a suit and booties so i have tried it both ways...i think my feet feel heavier when the booties are on thje outside and can gather more water...for that reason, i choose to put my booties inside my suit!!!

Ditto on previous posts, I wear my wet suit over my booties...I don't like the way my legs and boots feel the other way around.

If your booties are on the outside, water that would normally flow down the leg and out all goes into the booties and can stay there. If your booties are filled with water, they're more likely to feel loose on your feet.

Putting your wetsuit over top of your boots will reduce the water flow into your boots, and will result in warmer feet.

If your boots have zippers, your wetsuit will aid in keeping them from unzipping durring the dive and allow water to flow through your boots. This keeping the zippers closed benifit will also help keep your feet warm.

In short, suit over boots.

I don't want the pee to flow into my boots so I the suit goes on top. :wink:

i have the oceanic shadow suit, so there is an extra cuff at the bottom of the leg which the bootie sits between. so my wetsuit goes both in and outside of the booties:)

Guy

fungi3001:
i have the oceanic shadow suit, so there is an extra cuff at the bottom of the leg which the bootie sits between. so my wetsuit goes both in and outside of the booties:)

Guy
My Cressi Lontra (semi-dry) is similar...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom