scorpion fish attacks wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lewey

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a book for primary age children and am needing some information/stories about people who have had close calls or have been stung by scorpion fish. Please email me - lynndrinkall@optusnet.com.au. I appreciate any assistnce you may be able to offer!

People get stung by (the well camouflaged) scorpionfish by accidentally touching or stepping on them—they don’t “attack.” Lionfish (part of the scorpionfish family) are more active and not camouflaged but they are very docile around divers.

The is an article by Clay Bryce, “Watch where you stick your appendages!,” in Helmut Debelius’s Asia Pacific Reef Guide (pages 72-75) that describes the effects of Stonefish venom.

Vie is absolutely right. Scorpionfish, do not attack except for when they eat their prey (small fish). They are extremely well camouflaged and are hard to see. It takes a sharp eye and sometimes you still can't see them until they move. Never, never, put your hands on coral, it may be a Scorpionfish, besides it's not nice to touch coral, you will damage the animal and could cause a terrible infection in the colony. Also never put your hand on a wreck unless you know exactly what you are touching. There are too many things out there that will sting or injure you. Good for them.

Out of the three the stone fish is the hardest to spot in a pile of rock or a coral patch. The camouflage and shape of the fish makes it pretty hard to spot. The stone fish (synancea) is also the most venomous. Stepping on it means a very dangerous situation where shock and cardiac arrest are very likely. Close second is the lion fish, but at least it's flying its colors and the fish's demeanor just claims: "don't bother me". The scorpionfish found in temperate waters has a painful sting but is not generally considered deadly unless the victim has an allergic (anaprophyllactic) reaction to the venom. Otherwise a very swollen and painful foot or hand.

I have never been stung by one, but I love to slide my hand under one and gently lift it towards me. If you are gentile and slow, they don't seem to mind this handling at all. Just DO be careful.

Thanks Jenny for your assistance. Hi everyone as you probably can see I am writing a Non fiction book on Scorpion fish. I so appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I'm just learning to navigate my way around the various boards. I was told by Jenny that she moved my message here, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So in saying that...I was asking for any assistance from you guys that may have had a close encounter or been stung by a scoprion fish. It's for a book I am writing for school age kids. Please email me if you can help lynndrinkall@optusnet.com.au
I've already received one story so thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Never stung, but plenty of "close encounters." They are generally gentle, unassuming critters with a very high confidence in their camouflage. They are usually overlooked by most divers as they are very difficult to see, even when they're right out in the open. They can be approached very closely and even safely held if done slowly, gently and in the proper manner. They are truly wonderful, marvelous critters.
Rick

Allison Finch:
I have never been stung by one, but I love to slide my hand under one and gently lift it towards me. If you are gentile and slow, they don't seem to mind this handling at all. Just DO be careful.
Wow! I'm amazed by this. I've never heard of such a thing. Still though, I want to see someone else do it before me. :wink:

Where in the seven seas does the scorpion fish live in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom