moving to Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsudive

Registered
Reaction score
I think my parents are moving there in a couple of months. I asked my mom what region/city. She said somthing like "Vanagas" but I can't find that anywhere. Any ideas what she might have said? She had to hang up and go to MD office, so now I can't call her back. I was trying to scope out the diving near the town they will be moving to. Thanks. Oh, my dad is an engineer - is there a power plant or something being built anywhere?

lsudive:
I think my parents are moving there in a couple of months. I asked my mom what region/city. She said somthing like "Vanagas" but I can't find that anywhere. Any ideas what she might have said? She had to hang up and go to MD office, so now I can't call her back. I was trying to scope out the diving near the town they will be moving to. Thanks. Oh, my dad is an engineer - is there a power plant or something being built anywhere?

I lived for 10 years in Iloilo...the west cental part of the country. "Vanagas"...hmmmmm.... maybe Batangas? It's on the island of Luzon, the biggest and most northern island. There was a nuke plant built somewhere up there that was mothballed for a long time. But the good thing about the Philippines is that you're never far from good....unreal..... diving. If you've never been lived in a developing country it'll take some getting used to, but it's a nice place.

I'm thinking either Batangas as Hank said, which has some really good diving (Anilao, Puerto Galera a short hop away) or maybe the 'Visayas' which is a region in the middle of the country that includes Cebu, Negros, Bohol and a whole bunch of other islands that also have some really, really good diving.

Either way, as a diver, you'll be very happy. Congratulations!

Thanks. I did some searching, and I think it's Batangas. She said it's a resort area just south of Manila, starts with a B. The offer for the job came yesterday, so she wasn't sure of the details. I am encouraging my dad to take it - I have benefitted from their moves many times. I am already scoping out dive ops! If it turns out they are going, they will leave in the next 8 weeks or so. My husband and I won't be far behind! Meanwhile, I'll be lurking on this board, planning my trip. I'll be so crushed now if they don't go, that I might just have to go anyway!

my take is batangas. sounds very similar to vanagas. either way your always near a nice dive site in the Philippines.

i'll vote Batangas too... if not powerplants there's a couple of refineries there

wouldn't you be sooooo lucky if your parents would be in the bat city or mabini area? that's like saying <1 hour to dive paradise (puerto galera by boat) or 15 minutes to dive paradise (anilao)

i'll echo scuby: congrats! you're dad wouldn't have a better posting than if it was "resort manager" hehehehe

Jag <--- would rather be a resort manager than slaving in peonville... sigh

Back
Top Bottom