DM Swim Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took the PADI Divemaster swim test last night and was surprised by them. There are 4 tests- 15 minute float, 400m swim (no gear), 800m snorkel (masks, fins, and snorkel), and a 100m tired diver tow (both in full scuba).

I passed all the tests, but was surprised by how hard the snorkel test was. Because of my time, I only scored a 2 out of 5 points. On the other test, I scored a 5 for the float, and 3's for the other two tests. Does anyone have an idea about an average score? Passing is 12 out of 20 points, I believe.

Did anyone else find that the snorkel was harder? or am I just weak? I consider myself famine resistant, but I think that I'm in decent shape- I run, bike, do yoga, and lift weights when I'm not diving. Part of the problem might be that I usually frog kick and find scissor kicking uncomfortable since I do it so infrequently- it hurts the top of my feet. The other part might be that I was using the Mares Avanti fins, which I think are great paddle fins, but they are pretty stiff for scissor kicking. So during the snorkel, I basically went as fast as I could without cramping. I can't help but wonder if I could have gone faster if I had used split fins or at least fins that aren't as stiff. A friend, who uses split fins, tried the Avanti and he said it was as if someone had strapped two large boards on his feet. I've never used split fins, so I can't make the comparison.

I'm not asking about paddle fins versus split fins. I'm wondering if I am in worse shape that I thought, or did I just use the wrong fins for the job? Did anyone else think that the snorkel test was hard? with paddle fins or split fins?

do it easy:
I took the PADI Divemaster swim test last night and was surprised by them. There are 4 tests- 15 minute float, 400m swim (no gear), 800m snorkel (masks, fins, and snorkel), and a 100m tired diver tow (both in full scuba).

I passed all the tests, but was surprised by how hard the snorkel test was. Because of my time, I only scored a 2 out of 5 points. On the other test, I scored a 5 for the float, and 3's for the other two tests. Does anyone have an idea about an average score? Passing is 12 out of 20 points, I believe.

Did anyone else find that the snorkel was harder? or am I just weak? I consider myself famine resistant, but I think that I'm in decent shape- I run, bike, do yoga, and lift weights when I'm not diving. Part of the problem might be that I usually frog kick and find scissor kicking uncomfortable since I do it so infrequently- it hurts the top of my feet. The other part might be that I was using the Mares Avanti fins, which I think are great paddle fins, but they are pretty stiff for scissor kicking. So during the snorkel, I basically went as fast as I could without cramping. I can't help but wonder if I could have gone faster if I had used split fins or at least fins that aren't as stiff. A friend, who uses split fins, tried the Avanti and he said it was as if someone had strapped two large boards on his feet. I've never used split fins, so I can't make the comparison.

I'm not asking about paddle fins versus split fins. I'm wondering if I am in worse shape that I thought, or did I just use the wrong fins for the job? Did anyone else think that the snorkel test was hard? with paddle fins or split fins?

I think you were just using the wrong type of fin. Paddle fins aren't made for speed. I always wear ScubaPro Jet Fins when I dive, but back when I took my snorkel test for my DM, I borrowed a buddies Twin Jets (split fins). I tore through the water like it was nothing and got a 5. Don't worry, you passed. Plus you'll get a better idea of your fitness when your chasing down students. :eyebrow:

Mel

I agree it's the fins. During our swim tests, my buddy had stiff Tusa Imprex fins, got a cramp and had to complete part of the snorkel test kicking with one foot (quite amusing to watch). I'm not nearly as active as you stated but had no problems with my Mares Volo fins (scored a 4 - almost a 5), and one of the other candidates had force fins and totally blew us all away.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that I'm not as weak as I thought. (Although I dislocated my shoulder on the first lap of the swim test earlier this year. It was your basic freak accident.) If I get some pool time, I might try some split fins to see what I could have done. I was in disbelief at how much harder the snorkel test was than the other test.

You did well. I have yet to have a DM student score higher than a 4 on any of the swim tests, most get a 3, and everyone seems to be able to get a 5 on the tread water test. These are not "out of shape" people either, some are military, some are fitness "freeks", some are "average" active individuals.

You passed, and now you also have a benchmark for your endurance, which will aid you in judging how you respond to events while in the water.

Congratz. :crafty:

Woops. Misread and edited my post.

The fins could be it. When I did my DM swims I used my long blades and scored a 5. When I did the same distance at a later date (just for fun) with my Jet Fins I took almost twice as long.

Got to laugh (sorry, not at you, myself and the memory) did my DM swims in Egypt in February. A long days diving off the boat and got back to the apartments. My friend, also my instructor says " why don't we do your stamina stuff here and get it over with?

Me being me says "yeah no probs, that will get it done and out of the way."

I have the same fins, Mares Avanti Quattros, fantastic fins for the way i dive here and for wetsuit boots in the Red Sea. I am also pretty fit and can get up and down the pool well. When it came to the snorkel bit (with quite a few people taking notice, Doh.) after a long day i was pretty tired but got on with it.

I found the same problem as yourself. I could go on as fast as i liked without suffering fitness or stamina wise, but O MY GOD thought my ankles were going to seperate from my legs. Suffered through it and got enough points to pass in the end by the time i had done it all.

Moral of the story i think, especially after DM'ing through an internship, you dive and learn. All the time. If i did it again, nice soft set of pool fins, and a DPV, LOL.

Happy Dm'ing. Dive safe.

I had the same concerns, used my Jets just this Saturday for the tired diver tow. It took 5 minutes, I was bummed until I found out that I actually towed the diver for at least 450 feet (instructor thought the buoys were 100 feet apart until someone ran a reel and measured the distance) but only needed to do 100m (about 300 something feet I guess). I also ran off track a bit (open water went outside the buoys) so I lost a little time there too. So I passed and got at least a 3. So now I'm happy. I think the stiff fins may be good for the tows as thrust is probably more important but the splits may be better for the swims.

I'm in pretty good shape and would like to know what the times are for each number grade. something i'd like to do is work on those times so that i can judge just how well i can swim. Curiosity kills the cat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom