Pool Damage from scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, to practice some of my scuba skills once I get my C card I was thinking of diving my parents pool...but it has a vinyl liner. I am worried about puncturing it...is it possible for any of the gear we wear to puncture the liner? Any thoughts on how to prevent it?

lord1234:
So, to practice some of my scuba skills once I get my C card I was thinking of diving my parents pool...but it has a vinyl liner. I am worried about puncturing it...is it possible for any of the gear we wear to puncture the liner? Any thoughts on how to prevent it?
Get soft weights. Block weights are a big offender.

Watch what you do with the valve/first stage. Those parts are hard enough and often sharp enough to cut a liner.

Get rid of any hard items you do not need.

Check your fin buckles and tape them up if needed.

StSomewhere:
Use a tank boot and be careful what you bump into with the tank/valve. Awareness.

Be careful of tank boots with big bony lugs, you don't want those punching against a sand packed bottom

Pete

Practice with a buddy.. and instead of "ditching" items, remove carefully and hand off... Don't let anything drop to the bottom...

Awareness as well, keep away from the bottom / sides as you would the bottom of the ocean or a reef wall...

When I was a kid, my father ran the pool at the college where we lived. They used to teach scuba classes there, but quit because of the damage to the pool and the pool deck.

Most of the damage was from from students dropping weights on the deck, which would crack the tile. (cracked tile(s) would cause cuts on peoples feet. I for one found this out exactly that way with a large cut on my foot once). Dropping of tanks and other gear also didn't help any.

As someone above said, get soft weights. That will help the problem a lot.

But I gotta love the "leave the spear gun in the garage" comment.

Please leave the worn out soft weights at home when you go to a reef. Dribbling lead shot on reefs tends to poison things. :)

What about all the damage a pool can do to scuba gear? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom