Weights!!!!!!! Belt or bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lingfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought a weight integrated bcd.

Would this mean that the weight belt would now be obsolete or would u still used a weight belt and split the weights between ur BCD and belt??

I'd like to hear some opinion on this.

Cheers

I prefer to split the weight and balance the rig.

Should you need to remove your BC underwater for any reason which way would you go and which way would your BC go if all the weight was integrated?

Plus - should you ever need to ditch weight you don't have to dump the whole load at once if it is divided.

I load all my weight in my BC; I have rear trim pockets, so it's easy to balance. I can ditch the rear pockets individually, so I can drop a little or a lot of weight. I just personally dislike weight belts.

I bought a weight-integrated BC to take the weight off my hip bones b/c even after a day or two of diving, I would get all bruised up around hip bone area. I don't need a lot of weight so all of it goes in my BC pockets.

I carry half in my BC pockets and half in my weight belt. I'm still mulling over purchasing a couple of LP 104's - to use as singles - so once I have those I'll have to figure out how much weight I'll loose and where it should be for the best trim. I still like the idea of splitting between the two, though - regardless of how much weight...

I've got a weight integrated BC and I've tried to stuff almost all weights in the pockets. I dive in a 7mm wetsuit, and I required 32lbs. However, I'm finding difficulty with bouyancy and trim (only 5 dives with it so far). Thinking going with a weight belt for a portion of the weight may be the solution.

SS

Can't stand weight integrated BCs. I use a DUI weight harness rather than a weight belt diving in New England with my dry suit and on tropical trips a weight belt is all I need.

I dive solo quite a bit in New England and lifting the tank and BC to put it on alone is weight enough. The last thing I need is weigh-integration. Of course I could stick the weights in afterwards but I see no advantages to the integration thing.

DSDO

Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom