Locals.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNorth

Reaction score
Had a minor run in with a local yesterday at Gunn Rock. Not a bad guy but he was marking his territory and puffing out his chest a bit. I bet he is actually very nice when he is sober. Just wondering if anyone has any local run in stories for amusement and warning. I know the guys that fish to feed their families can get a tad tough on the divers. I'm not bashing them as I do this for fun only and have to respect a guy that works the lobster or any other boat. I mean the locals with 10 traps who figure they own a section of ocean.

Note to SS- he was half right 1/2 hour after sunset is the rule (he was wrong), but sunset was officially 7:22PM and it was after 8 so I am glad my skills were living up to their usual subpar levels. I wonder if a twenty minute surface swim counts or if the clock stops if I hold the catch bag out of the water?

Over 2 years that I've been diving in MA, I've never had a bad experience with the locals. Yours must be an exception. I think 99% of people are generally good, therefore it's not worth sweating over the last 1%.

At Ft Weterill in RI.

1st was a loberstam who was upset by a lobster dry spell who came up to us in his boat questioned us ( and told us he had spent time in jail for running over a diver in the past) then speed off throwing his traps violently into the water.

2nd was after a dive we were so happy of it being a great dive, after we surfaced we were laughing so hard, we didn't see a fisherman on the cliff waiting to throw his line in. We apologized and he preoceded to throw his line right next to one of the divers heads.

Stuff happens. We meant no harm in either event but were having the most fun. In both instances it could have been the case of a man needing to feed his family.

Chebby:
Over 2 years that I've been diving in MA, I've never had a bad experience with the locals. Yours must be an exception. I think 99% of people are generally good, therefore it's not worth sweating over the last 1%.

Very minor run in, he was just strutting. First time I've had an issue other than ignorant boaters using flags for targets, which is more stupid than evil. Come on Chebby what did this nut think I would exit the water with anything but 100# air. No real keepers out at Gunn Rock one maybe but he was missing his crusher and I like a fair fight.

ScubaNorth:
Note to SS- he was half right 1/2 hour after sunset is the rule (he was wrong), but sunset was officially 7:22PM and it was after 8 so I am glad my skills were living up to their usual subpar levels. I wonder if a twenty minute surface swim counts or if the clock stops if I hold the catch bag out of the water?

FYI, Sunset was at 8:19pm today, so you were all good :)

http://www.maineharbors.com/ma/junroc05.htm

Soggy:
FYI, Sunset was at 8:19pm today, so you were all good :)

http://www.maineharbors.com/ma/junroc05.htm

Thank You I need that link for next time. Lesson learned bring copy of regs in water proof bag and a copy of sunset times. Better safe than sorry, I don't need the local PD to be waiting on shore for me. I have nothing to hide but if I am armed with info they are disarmed and will skulk away quietly. Better than the mag light in the face routine, and the harrassment by young aggressive types. I am too old to stand there and argue with my gear on after a dive.

ScubaNorth:
I wonder if a twenty minute surface swim counts or if the clock stops if I hold the catch bag out of the water?
It counts... what matters isn't when you surface, it's when you land the catch. If you step foot on the beach with keepers 30 minutes after sunset, you're good to go. If it's 30:01 minutes, you're poaching.

Note to Self: Must remember to add surface swim into bug timer! I was pretty exhausted after that surface swim in. Reminds me I'm not exactly a spring chicken any longer. On that note; I am glad the GunRock local "expert-on-all-things" diving was not in the mood for anything more than a chat...thought it may have been kinda fun to watch two exhausted "seals" flopping on the beach, lol, I said to watch right?

scubastew:
Note to Self: Must remember to add surface swim into bug timer! I was pretty exhausted after that surface swim in. Reminds me I'm not exactly a spring chicken any longer. On that note; I am glad the GunRock local "expert-on-all-things" diving was not in the mood for anything more than a chat...thought it may have been kinda fun to watch two exhausted "seals" flopping on the beach, lol, I said to watch right?

As the NELD group ages I am investing in a scuba scooter company. Unless they plan on moving the ocean closer to my couch and some easy parking. Please do not forget he knows all the rules, cus he's "certified as a matter of fact he teaches certification." Ah but does he teach reading? Like the fishing regulation would be good practice.

ScubaNorth:
As the NELD group ages I am investing in a scuba scooter company. Unless they plan on moving the ocean closer to my couch and some easy parking. Please do not forget he knows all the rules, cus he's "certified as a matter of fact he teaches certification." Ah but does he teach reading? Like the fishing regulation would be good practice.

Maybe we can start a business - scooter shuttling old fart divers in and out from shore! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom