Fast question on free flow with air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Er. Not necessarily, if I understand the question right. It can occur at several spots in the reg, but usually in your mouthpiece, in which case, only that would FF.

SueMermaid:
Er. Not necessarily, if I understand the question right. It can occur at several spots in the reg, but usually in your mouthpiece, in which case, only that would FF.

Would it be wise then, or an alternative, to switched to your air 2 while you clear the free flow problem?

If you mean that if your primary regulator starts to free flow will the Air2 automatically start to free flow - no, they're separate second stage regulators.

The Air2 can, in and of itself, develop a free flow just like any other second stage regulator. But with it all you have to do is disconnect the low pressure B/C inflator hose and make a normal, controled ascent.

The Kraken:
If you mean that if your primary regulator starts to free flow will the Air2 automatically start to free flow - no, they're separate second stage regulators.

The Air2 can, in and of itself, develop a free flow just like any other second stage regulator. But with it all you have to do is disconnect the low pressure B/C inflator hose and make a normal, controled ascent.

Thanks. I thought it might also free flow. I didn't understand your second paragraph?

I knew it could free flow on it's own but I thought both would free flow. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. Since we were taught to sip air from free flow in OW cert it would seem that switching to air 2 and make a cesa is preferable?

pilot fish:
If you have a free flow in your reg at depth, will air also free flow threw your air2 in inflator hose? It's stands to reason it might but I wanted to make sure.

If you are talking the corrugated hose into the BC then NO, unless you also experience a seat failure of the inflator seat. This is an upstream valve, so an increase in IP will not cause it to open. Of couse, the regulator portion of your air2, which is a downstream valve, may freeflow. That is where disconnecting the hose MAY solve the proble. That is, if the problem is the adjustment or seat failure of the air2, then FF problem will be solved. However, if the problem is loss of control of IP by the 1st stage, the problem should simpley move to another down stream valve.

The Air2 can, in and of itself, develop a free flow just like any other second stage regulator. But with it all you have to do is disconnect the low pressure B/C inflator hose and make a normal, controled ascent.]] kraken

I understand it now. Since it is under pressure wouldn't it be difficult to disconnect it?

pilot fish:
The Air2 can, in and of itself, develop a free flow just like any other second stage regulator. But with it all you have to do is disconnect the low pressure B/C inflator hose and make a normal, controled ascent.]] kraken

I understand it now. Since it is under pressure wouldn't it be difficult to disconnect it?

Not terribly - next time you have your rig put together and your air on, disconnect the B/C L/P inflator hose. You'll experience some resistance, but not so much that you can't overcome it.

pilot fish:

With practice, it is not difficult to disconnect or to connect while under pressure. It is probably something you should be practicing and comfortable doing.

pilot fish:

Try it out for yourself and see (on the surface of course). Hold down the purge button with one hand and disconnect the hose with the other. Don't have the air2 yet and just thinking about it? No problem. Hold down you inflator button (would it be insulting if I repreated "on the surface"?) on your BC and disconnect the hose. Not a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom