Live aboard for a casual diver with no equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimchim

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could dive more, but as economics, job, and family would have it, I only get to go about once a year if we happen to be vacationing in a ocean area.

Anyways, this means that I own nothing except my own prescription mask, booties, wet suit, and knife (which I got just cuz I thought it was cool to have).

I'd like to do a live aboard one day... but I would be by myself. I read here that live aboards by yourself are actually fun because of the "community" of the boat so it's not bad at all. However, it also sounds like people have a lot of their own equipment.

What should I expect as a "casual recreational" diver? Should I consider getting more equipment?

How many dives per day do they usually do?

Do I need to calc my own dive tables or do the guides baby-sit you (if necessary) like the resort dive tours do?

What else happens when not diving?

chimchim:
I wish I could dive more, but as economics, job, and family would have it, I only get to go about once a year if we happen to be vacationing in a ocean area.

Anyways, this means that I own nothing except my own prescription mask, booties, wet suit, and knife (which I got just cuz I thought it was cool to have).

I'd like to do a live aboard one day... but I would be by myself. I read here that live aboards by yourself are actually fun because of the "community" of the boat so it's not bad at all. However, it also sounds like people have a lot of their own equipment.

What should I expect as a "casual recreational" diver? Should I consider getting more equipment?

Do I need to calc my own dive tables or do the guides baby-sit you (if necessary) like the resort dive tours do?

Trust me, you won't want to dive on tables. If you buy nothing else, at least buy (or rent) a dive computer. You get absolutely screwed on bottom time if you don't. I learned that on my first OW boat dive. It is worth EVERY penny.

Have to agree, dive guides in most cases, in the Pacific at least, will not baby sit you because of all the others divers. Besides, guides usually do only 2 or 3 dives whereas you could be doing up to 5. Computer is a must be it rented (usually about $100/week) or your own. All other rental stuff is available for a week at a time.
However, i would also suggest your own wetsuit...most liveaboards have a lousy selection of those

chimchim:

Here is my .02c. From my vast (not) experience of 5 liveaboards (one twice) the style varies in terms of how much they expect you to follow the dive guide vs dive your own profile. I suggest you read trip reports in the regional travel boards to get an idea of the style of a particular operator. But always you are accountable for your own air and bottom time, so rent or buy a computer. Despite the cost I think buying is a good idea because if you have not used one before it is going to take you a little while to understand how to read it and dive it - what deco looks like etc.

How many dives a day, three minimum, up to 4 or 5 or open deck where you can do as many as you feel like. But usually no pressure to dive just because one is going.

What do you do between dives, eat, rest, read, talk occassionaly cards or watch video footage. As a single diver I have found them to be a good social environment and a lot of fun.

Alison

I agree that there are differences in liveaboards. I will give you my take on the Aggressors, where I tend to dive also as a solo traveler.

1. Equipment - since liveaboards tend to attract more experienced divers, most divers have their own equipment. The Aggressors do have rental gear. BUT the selection is limited. Also, since the boats are remote, if a piece of rental equipment needs repair, it will not happen right away. MY SUGGESTION - negotiate a rental with your LDS (at least where I live, they rent by the week anyway). Count on the liveaboard rental gear for emergencies only (you dropped your fins over the side). DEFINITELY rent a computer. In many locations your dives will start on a wall, but finish in the shallows playing with rays, looking for juveniles, ... Computers are excellent for these "multilevel" dive profiles, and will give you plenty of bottom time for your later dives. Both DMs and more experienced divers will help you with your dive planning if you ask them to. Soon enough, you will get a feel for managing your tables/computer.

2. Dives per day - the Aggressors that I have been on (Fiji, Palau, Belize, Cayman) target 5 dives per day, with exceptions for special days that have a deep dive (Blue Hole in Belize) or a shore excursion (Villiage visit in Fiji). The schedule is roughly:

Breakfast
Dive #1
Sweet snack
Dive #2
Lunch
Dive #3
Savory snack
Dive #4
Dinner
Dive #5 (night)
Hot Chocolate
Sleep

Of course, not everyone does all the dives (except maniacs like me :)). Some people don't enjoy night dives, or like to have wine/beer with dinner (once you drink, your diving is over for the day). Some just get worn out! Most people do at least 3. One reason that people do more is that it is so easy. No lugging gear onto and off of day boats. Just suit up and go! HERE IS WHERE LOCATION AND TYPE OF DIVING MATTERS. In some locations (Palau), diving is done from a skiff. That means dive times are regimented. Other locations (Belize, Cayman) the boat stays at one place for half the day. You can do 1 or 2 dives ON YOUR OWN SCHEDULE.

The DMs DO NOT babysit you - you are responsible for your own tables/computer planning. On the other hand, IF YOU WISH, you can buddy with the DM on any dive. At least one DM will be in the water on every dive. Often, you can buddy with another single traveler whose experience and dive style matches your own. Also, most of the more experienced divers will agree to buddy with you a few times if you ask - just BE HONEST about your experience and concerns. Even though I dive solo most of the time, I had the genuine pleasure of taking a diver on her second dive after certification in Belize (she went with a DM for the first dive.)

When not diving, people read, watch video, lie to each other telling diving stories, sleep, eat, sleep, eat, sunbathe, eat, screw up their camera, eat, sit in the hot tub, check out other people's gear, and otherwise just mellow out.

My personal opinion is that a liveaboard is the preferred way to travel when going alone. You don't have to worry when to eat - you eat when they serve. You don't have to worry what to eat - you eat what they serve (and lots of it). You don't have to worry about eating alone - everyone eats together. All you have to do is decide when and how many times to dive.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Cheers,

My dive club is planning a trip on the Nekton Rorqual this fall (I need to find a new income-generating activity before I can consider it... ;-( ) and some have been on both Nekton and Aggressor cruises before. They found the Nekton to be much more relaxed than the Aggressor. The dive schedule on the Aggressor was very strict -- you dove when the dive was scheduled! On the Nekton, you had more freedom to prep for the first dive of the day at your own pace. Just something you might want to consider.

I second (third?) the suggestion to get your own dive computer (or at least rent one). You'll be doing a continuous series of dives (which my Suunto Mosquito defines as diving again before the "No-Fly" time hits 0:00) and you want to make the most of every dive.

-Rob

Most liveaboards will rent gear to you, if you don't have it. It's not always the "best deal", but you don't have to fly carrying as much gear either. Make sure you reserve it before the trip though.

For a computer, consider a Nitrox one and the Nitrox course for a liveaboard. Doing 4-7 dives a day, you'll want to be diving nitrox.

rab:
The dive schedule on the Aggressor was very strict -- you dove when the dive was scheduled!

Not true on the Belize Aggressor. The dive BRIEFING was done at a set time, but diving could be done anytime. The only restrictions were that diving was to be finished by mealtimes, since the crew (including DMs) helped with meal service, and the captain moves the boat during lunch. Also, night dives were sometimes asked to be started by 7:30, since the captain sometimes moves the boat to a more sheltered spot afterwards for the night.

Rob's statement is true on the Palau Aggressor, since all diving is done via the skiff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom