Need fast, good way to get on gear, boots, and suit mainly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonator234

Reaction score
I'm new to diving and I need a good, fast way to get on my suit and boots, etc. Perferedly hassle free. please explain in detail

simonator234:
I'm new to diving, and need a quick way to get on boots, siut ect. please explain in detail

This is one of those questions where verbal communications do not provide a good answer. Were I to be flippant, I'd say "just put the boots & suit on the floor, and stand on top. Now, you're on boots, suit, etc."

Seriously, if the equipment fits (and assuming you have reasonable flexibility), you can put on wetsuit, followed by booties. You may wish to ask your buddy to zip you up afterwards. Misquoting the late Johnny Cochran, "if it doesn't fit, you shouldn't wear it."

Donning your equipment is covered in the certification course.

Rumor has it that if you use 7mm exposure protection, wearing a lycra skin first, or lubricating yourself with hair conditioner is helpful.

Eating fewer tacos before diving is definitely helpful :wink:

I guess the other question is, what do you mean by quick? I can set up my equipment and be ready to dive in 5-10 minutes on a small boat. Since the boat ride is 5-10 minutes, that's fast enough...

wearing a lycra skin makes it A LOT easier to put the wet suit on

if still having trouble, use talc powder on the more troublesome bits

-or-

get the wet suit wet first, and then put it on

go slow, take it easy, it's not a race

1. Or you can do what I did. Buy it 2 sizes too small.

2. Lose 160 pounds.

3. Start looking for a seamstress cause the damn thing's too big. :)

As they said, go slow, don't get frustrated and work your way in a little at a time. I start with one foot then the other. One calf/knee then the other. One thigh etc till I finally get one shoulder then work like hell for the other.

I have had six back surgeries and am fused from L2 down so if i can do it...

Have fun

work the knees of the suit up to where you want them and the rest of the suit goes on much easier. if youre wet, get the suit wet. if youre dry, keep the suit dry. if youre wet, and youre wearing a drysuit, keep dry because a wet person in a dry drysuit makes for a wet drysuit...which is a wetsuit.

...riiiiight

-Matt

simonator234:
I need a good, fast way to get on my suit and boots. Perferedly hassle free. plz respond in detail

Buy a $40.00 dive skin. It's an ultra thin lycra body suit that goes on first, and then your regular wetsuit slides on easy and quickly.

Here's a link: Henderson skin

simonator234:
I need a good, fast way to get on my suit and boots. Perferedly hassle free. plz respond in detail

Go into the nearest telephone booth and presto-chango! You're ready to go...oh wait, thats Superman..... :headscrat

Are you asking about a wetsuit or drysuit? Whats the rush with getting the suit on?
If my wetsuit is dry, its a cinch to put on....but when its wet and I'm putting it back on for a 2nd dive, it can be a real bugger... I usually end up keeping it on, unzipping the top and pulling it down around my waist, leaving the legs part on...

Some people use those lycra skins, but I have no personal knowledge of them.. sorry

A fast, cheap alternative is to put a plastic grocery bag on each foot. You slide right through a tight fitting wetsuit. I have a friend who does this and leaves the bags on even while diving. I'm not sure why. :D

As said, get the knees right, after that it should roll up over the caboose. Maybe a bit of a tug to make sure it'seated in the crotch. Then one sleeve at a time, if it's a close fit with seals that is where the suit snot (hair conditioner/water in a spray bottle) can help but still should not be needed. Get each arm right to the shoulder before moving on. Having a buddy do the back zip is a good way to be sure the seal is laying right but you should be able to do it yourself.

I stop at the waist and do my booties, flip up the lower leg, into the bootiie, zip, zip. I stop at the waist/bootie point until everything and everyone else is ready, it starts getting hot after that.

Suit snot helps if you're donning an already wet suit.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom