Speaking of Argon.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
THAT Got me thinking (a scary thought) and I said to myself..."Self, you should look more into this 'Argon' thing...."

I dive a drysuit in Michigan. I dive air/EAN. I'd assume that eventually I'll start the voodoo, but for now, I'm content diving the 'readi-Mix' EAN.

This is what I think I know:
I understand that the primary use for Argon arose from those diving a Helium Mix and is a better insulator than air. Diving He leaves the diver chilled and a greater degree of insulating is needed.

Enter Argon....literally and figuratively...into the drysuit. When Argon is added (after the suit is adequately purged with same) during the dive, it provides a better insulating barrier than air/EAN.

Positives: Those stated above
Negatives: Additional bottle, regulator system needed for supply (although those who dive well, could possible purge the suit at the beginning of the dive and the little amount of air/EAN would be negligible, thus keeping the insulating barrier intact)

ENTER THE UNKNOWN:

1. Are there different grades of ARGON? I hear a lot of talk about welding argon. Will that suffice for diving purposes or is there a "purer, better" Argon out there that is preferred for diving?

2. Will argon provide a notable/marked difference in the insulatory properties of those NOT diving He/ i.e. EAN/Air...ME?

Thank you,

That is all.....

Are there different grades of ARGON?
Undoubtedly, but the local gas dealers sell from the same bottle to the welders and the dive shops.

Will argon provide a notable/marked difference in the insulatory properties of those NOT diving He
Cavers in Florida will tell you that there's little point in Ar unless you're diving on a substantial He mix. Then again, they don't tend to think in terms of 40F water. My view is that when I'm hopping in water that cold, I'd like most any advantage I can get and Ar is definitely a better insulator than air. The $ issue does tend to influence my decision in water over 60F...

1. quality welds demand quality gas

And if you are cutting the argon in a purged suit with air or nitrox you won't be able to weld worth a darn with it.

2. air is good enough for now

Since we have an argon purge tank already set up we use it even when diving EAN32 but I wouldn't bother unless you are not able to keep warm without it... and a better set of undergarment would be more cost effective... especially since you can get one like we use for $155.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom