BBQ with Salmon and Halibut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will have family over for a big BBQ next weekend. I have some fresh, flash frozen Halibut and salmon in the freezer I wanted to use. I would like to know your favorite way of cooking on the grill for this type of fish. Dry rub spice, etc. I have my favorite blue cheese salmon, but was not sure about the Halibut. It will be my dad’s 70th birthday party and we will surprise him with a big family party and dinner. Side dish ideas for this event would be appreciated too.

Scott

All the rage now is to cook fish in the way of the Indians of the North West. That is you use cedar planks and cook the fish on it. You can buy the planks in most large supermarket now days.

First you soak the planks in water for a couple of hours. You set the planks on the grille at low fire. You put the fish on the planks and turn the over at about 15 mins. It takes about a half hour.

Here is a link that explains it better. http://www.acadian-woods.com/grillplank.htm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, cedar is the only way I cook with fish. As a contractor in the PNW I end up with plenty of cedar. Eazy cleanup and nice slow cook. Sorry my first picture did not turn out the way I wanted. Here is the same picture of Alaska King Salmon slow baked with blue cheese. I wanted to know how people would prepare the fish prior to cooking.

Scott

I like to marinate in orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. It makes a beautiful glaze, especially on the grill. You can reduce the marinade while the fish cooks to pour over fish when done.

A co-worker just did this below recipe and emailed it me last week. Said it was the best salmon he'd had in years done this way.

from: http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm#cedarplankgrilledsalmon

Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon

Dry rub seasoning
Makes ¼ cup
2 teaspoons freshly grated pepper
1 teaspoon dried, grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon Sea salt crystals
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
Place dry rub ingredients in a food processor or spice grinder and process until well blended. Transfer to a small bowl or cup, wrap tightly and store at room temperature until ready to use.
1 cedar BBQ grilling plank
2 six-ounce pieces of salmon fillet, fresh or thawed, about 2 inches thick, skin removed
1 tablespoon dry rub seasoning
1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
1. Soak the cedar plank for at least 5 hours.

2. Place the fillets on wax paper. Sprinkle both sides of the fish evenly with the dry rub (1 ½ teaspoon per serving). Press the seasoning into the flesh.

3. Refrigerate the salmon, uncovered, for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.

4. Place the salmon pieces in the center of the cedar plank. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the salmon. Place the plank on a grill. If using a gas grill, preheat on high then turn down to medium before placing the planks on the grill. If using a charcoal grill, wait until coals are covered with gray ash. Cover with a lid.

5. There will be some crackling and heavy smoke. Keep a water bottle handy in case the planks begin to flame. If they do, spray lightly and cover again. Salmon should take 8 to 10 minutes to cook, depending on the thickness of the salmon and the heat of the grill. Remove when the salmon reaches an internal temperature of 120F to 125F. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
Serves: 2

All of these recipes sound great and I will try them. I have been using a honey and balsamic vineger mix brushed on while cooking. Most of my family likes it. A bed of risotto makes for a nice side dish, and of course a spinach and avacado salad.

Thanks for the hints. I tried several different ways to cook this weekend. Everyone was most pleased with the cedar plank and blue cheese salmon. I will try the dry rub on my next salmon dinner.

Sue, can you be more detailed on measurments of your sauce blend.

Um. Er. I don't really measure it. I don't measure anything. Is that bad? :confused6 I just add until it tastes right. Sorry. If I had to guess, I'd say a cup of OJ, 2 tb of spy sauce, and 2 tb of rice vinegar.

I like to do Salmon "en papillotte" on the grill. Of course, I use foil, and not parchment paper.

I don't like cheese with seafood in general.

Take a large piece of aluminum foil (maybe two). Rub some oil on the foil. Put salmon on foil. If you have skin, skin-side down. Season the salmon. (I like soy sauce, garlic, ginger, & sugar or honey; about 1/4 cup soy sauce, garlic to taste, 1 tbsp or more chopped fresh ginger, about 2 tbsp honey or sugar, a splash of water to help thin things a bit. If you like things hot, cayenne can easily be added.) Pour the seasonings over the salmon. Now, fold the foil over the top (or put the second piece of foil over the top). Crimp on all sides well to seal, except for one corner. Insert a straw into that corner, blow up the package (like a puffer fish); remove the straw, and crimp shut the corner.

At this stage, you can then slide the whole package into the fridge for a couple of hours, or you can heat up the grill. If using a gas grill (perfectly fine), heat up to medium high. Once the grill is hot, put the package on the grill. Cook for 15 minutes. Perfect for one half salmon (lengthwise!).

You can do the same thing in the oven, rather than grill (search for salmon en papillotte), but I like the grill because it leaves grill marks on the salmon, even through the foil. Cooking in foil steams the marinade into the fish.

This should also work with halibut, but I'd add more oil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom