Wet Suit feeling like a suit of ARMOR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undRH2OdivR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi I know someone in here can help me.
I went today to try and complete my Padi open water cert. and didn't even get past the first dive. The problem I was having was getting myself to relax and take long deep breathes. I went to my local dive shop a couple of days ago and the only wetsuit that they have that fitts me is a 7mm farmer john with a jacket. I am a rather big man (6'3" & 330 LB's) so I needed a 5X. I put the suit on and to me it seems tight, I can move around but not really good. I go in the water now there is no way I am getting under without some heavy duty weight ( ended up being 48LB's ). I am fighting the weight because at this point if I just stay still it rolls me over and my feet are pointed topside. About this time I signal my instructor that something is wrong and we go to the surface where he calls the dive and we head for shore
I feel becase of the suit I had to have to much weight and that caused me to become over exerted and cause me to over breathe.

What do you people think and what or how can I correct this problem? I am looking into maybe getting into a 5mm one piece jump suit with a 1mm dive skin. Thanks Again, Giving up is not an option!!!!

So the problem is your trim then, floating head down? You could try adjusting your tank so it sits lower in the BC and/or try some ankle weights in place of an equal amount of belt weight. That might get you floating a little more horizontal. Or if you mean you are floating face-up then you could try assembling the belt with the biggest weights as close as possible to the buckle and none at the rear.

undRH2OdivR:
Hi I know someone in here can help me.
I went today to try and complete my Padi open water cert. and didn't even get past the first dive. The problem I was having was getting myself to relax and take long deep breathes. I went to my local dive shop a couple of days ago and the only wetsuit that they have that fitts me is a 7mm farmer john with a jacket. I am a rather big man (6'3" & 330 LB's) so I needed a 5X. I put the suit on and to me it seems tight, I can move around but not really good. I go in the water now there is no way I am getting under without some heavy duty weight ( ended up being 48LB's ). I am fighting the weight because at this point if I just stay still it rolls me over and my feet are pointed topside. About this time I signal my instructor that something is wrong and we go to the surface where he calls the dive and we head for shore
I feel becase of the suit I had to have to much weight and that caused me to become over exerted and cause me to over breathe.

What do you people think and what or how can I correct this problem? I am looking into maybe getting into a 5mm one piece jump suit with a 1mm dive skin. Thanks Again, Giving up is not an option!!!!

Next time your in Florida come on down and we can ditch the wet suit all together. That should allow you to get rid of some of the weight as well.

I like the ankle wieght idea, also consider moving the weights around on your belt or if you use a weight integrated BC, try using a belt to and moving the wieghts where you feel comfortable.

One of my Dive Master students last year, who is now one of my working DM's, is 6'10" and weighed 425 pounds when he started diving. He's now down to 365 pounds (on a diet) and wears a 7mm two peice wet suit as well. The simple answer is to get as much of the weight on, or just in front of your hips as possible. Secondly, buy a weight integrated BCD after you finish certification, or better yet, buy it from the shop before you hit the water again. Third, and this is the expensive one, you my friend should be in a dry suit, as any wet suit you get will just not fit. Even if you get a custom cut wet suit, you will not fit into it as well as some of us smaller guys. So your only route is dry, and I would strongly recommend a Gates or Viking drysuit.

Hope this helps, don't give up, there are bigger fish (divers) out there, so you are not alone.

How'd the suit feel once you were in the water? Still constricting? Or do you think it was the right size? Part of the reason I'm asking is because cold water wetsuits aren't always the most comfortable things at first. They take time to break in and feel comfy. Also, given your location, I'm assuming much of your diving will be in the Great Lakes or Ohio lakes and quarries. If that's the case, you'll learn to appreciate the 7mm farmer john and jacket!

The amount of weight is high but expected given your size and the thickness of the wetsuit. It should help to distribute the weight differently. I'm not sure how you / your instructor had it but perhaps putting some on a weight belt, some in integrated pockets and even possibly some on the tank? Are you able to play with your weighting in a pool prior to any more open water dives?

In the longer scheme of things you may want to investigate moving to steel tanks. They can replace part of the weight that's currently on your weight belt given they are heavier than aluminum and don't have the buoyancy swing that most aluminum tanks have as the air is used up.

Paula

I had the same problem when I got certified....the damn suit was a size too small and I couldn't catch my breath (even when kneeling on the bottom of the ocean 20' down!). I got a bigger size to complete my cert, then went wetsuit hunting. I found the Henderson Hyperstretch and have never looked back. The stretchiness has kept me from feeling constricted and it made all the difference in the world for me.

Since you're a rather large man, I might suggest that you consider having a wetsuit custom made for yourself. Even if it winds up costing considerably more, the comfort will be worth every dime.

Yes, the custom wetsuit or drysuit is the way to go.

I also think that, no matter what you do, the more you dive the better it will get. During class, there's all that slow, difficult putting on of new gear and huffing around trying to get everything together , and by the time you get underwater, you're already beat.

As you dive more and get used to donning your suit and equipment more efficiently, you'll be less stressed and more at ease in the water, and the stuff that seems difficult now becomes easier. Including that constricted feeling of a tight wetsuit.

But yes, I'd get the dry suit. :D

Have fun!

I had the same problem with my LDS wetsuit during my first dive. I'm a pretty big guy myself (6'1", 275lbs). It was a 2 piece farmer john. A 2 piece is definitely going to feel tighter in the chest, hence less lung expansion. Cold water will cause you to gasp also. My first dive, the water was 41 F. I then bought a Tilos 7mm Titanium one piece semi-dry and those problems were gone. I could breath again.

A 2 piece is also going to have more natural bouancy than a 1 piece. I have to wear 30 lbs of weight, but have it distributed here and there. You instructor should be able to help you with your trim. Ask him to. I can't wear a weight belt, as it won't stay on because I don't have enough butt or hips to keep it on. 48 lbs is a LOT of weight. Over time you will use less and less weight. Build up muscle mass and losing fatty tissue will help drop the weight you have to put on. It's working for me.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom