Did I do the right thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffreyd

Registered
Reaction score
Went up to Ginnie springs in Florida today (June 12) and was enjoying exploring the caverns and openwater areas. I now have a total of 7 dives now including today.

There is a cavern called the "ballroom" which is a rather large overhead area that is "safe" for openwater divers to enter. During our last dive we were just using up the tanks (maybe 1000psi) so we were sitting at 15' near the entrance to the cavern just practicing boyancy. We saw a couple decend near us and begin to enter the cavern. I noticed one of the divers tanks was hanging by the first stage on the tank strap (tank came loose). I saw the buddy look at the tank and continue to follow towards the cavern, not doing anything about it. I darted off and stopped them from entering the cavern and showed the buddy the tank, then worked with the buddy to get the tank back in place. After it was strapped back on I left and went back to my buddy practicing.

I am just curious what you would have done.

Thanks,
JeffreyD

You did the right thing.

Take care not to exceed your experience and training, however. In this case you did the right thing.

If the divers didn't thank you, they owe you one!

i would have done the same...

i'm curious... why do you ask? what do you feel you did which was questionable?

mossym:
depends, what depth were they at, how much air did you have left?

Still at 15' at the entrance to the cavern.
I had about 1000psi(al80)

They didn't say anything about it when we saw them by the tables.

jeffreyd:
They didn't say anything about it when we saw them by the tables.

they probably didn't recognize who you were

they don't seem very aware anyway

H2Andy:
i would have done the same...

i'm curious... why do you ask? what do you feel you did which was questionable?

Being 15' down and having some random diver tugging on your fin, I dont know if anyone would get upset and create an even worse situation.

well... that's very considerate of you

but if a diver freaks out when someone tugs at their fin, they have no business
diving in the first place :wink:

Back
Top Bottom