SDI/TDI or PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkel16

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello-I would like to start diving, but for my training...who should I go with? SDI/TDI or PADI? If you have been certified by either of these and tell me your experience with your training and if you would choose them again if you were to be trained again, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Pick a good instructor with references. Have a potential instructor brief you on their curriculem and standards. The instructor is important, but the agency is just a marketing tool.

Yes, some agencies have better standards and curriculems than others, but a great instructor can more than make up for any deficiciencies there.

Ask for references from each instructor before you choose one.

I have certs from 2 of the agencies you mentioned as well as others.

PADI has good tools and materials - better than TDI. However, TDI has some top notch instructors that have a lot of experience and knowledge, not that PADI doesn't. My point is - the instructor, the instructor, the instructor.

I agree the instructor matters more, my OW is with PADI and I had a great instructor and loved it. Do I think PADI had great materials or is on a higher level than other agencys? No. But I will say this, I'm currently enrolled in TDI's Basic Nitrox course and after reading the book I am still not impressed. However, I think I am going to enjoy having the instructor that I picked out.

i did my ow with Padi, and had a really good instructor, now i'm considering going to TDI for adv Nitrox. Instructors are important, make sure you get a good one..my ow instructor said he wouldn't take any money off us until we were happy with what we learnt, if we weren't we walked away

maybe NAUI? theyre not afraind (or prohibited) to say the "D" word, DEATH. Or what will happen if you do things wrong. I have heard the PADI frowns on their instructors telling students what all could go wrong.

Just did a PADI OW this Spring. Maybe it was my instructor (the key, as others said), but there was no mincing about the serious aspects, that things can kill if you don't pay attention.

PADI has the best materials in all of diving. SDI and TDI mailed out instructor cards a few years ago to any PADI, NAUI, or SSI instructors who wanted them (for a nominal fee).

As everyone else stated, the instructor is the key.

Cheers,
Jamie

Back
Top Bottom