Did my first triathlon today!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A little over a year ago, I stumbled on this forum, and with a little nudge from scuba punk decided to do my first triathlon, something I've always wanted to do. Well, 40# and a year later, no longer can I say that, since I did it!! Swim went very well, bike not so much, run not so much, but at least there's room for upward improvement :)

And the dreaded coming in last did not occur :)

Chris

ChrisM:
A little over a year ago, I stumbled on this forum, and with a little nudge from scuba punk decided to do my first triathlon, something I've always wanted to do. Well, 40# and a year later, no longer can I say that, since I did it!! Swim went very well, bike not so much, run not so much, but at least there's room for upward improvement :)

And the dreaded coming in last did not occur :)

Chris

You rock, Chris. That is so cool. Way to go, man.

---
Ken

I'm exceedingly proud of you Chris. Triathlon (or any multisport for that matter) is a great sport for getting in shape for scuba diving and it's been great watching your progress over the past year. So you're doing IMFL this fall, right? :D

Here's something funny... I have a picture of a P3 on my pc for wallpaper. It reminds me that when I get fit enough for a bike like that to matter, it'll be time to get a new custom drysuit (I think with the P3/Ultegra, a DUI TLS-350 is about the same price) for my kick-arse body :)

Don't worry about getting faster. It will happen. Just do more BRICKS!!! WOOHOO for BRICKS!!!! :11:

-Frank

Wow Frank, I didn't know you were also a personal motivator-trainer!!

I've got the low-down on our famous Welland Triathalon in about two weeks time.

The boss-girl just did her "warm-up" to the event, off the cuff last night. She did her 20K bike, 5 K run and then hopped over to the Local "Y" and did like an hour of swimming!

Holy Crap! You guys are just too motivated :D

Well done.

Not as much a motivator as much as I am a shaman. I just point people in the direction of their own open doors :D

Seriously, I'm getting excited to do my next race! Glad to hear that Wifey is kicking butt with her training. She is soooo going to kick my butt. By the way, should I bring up another shoo-fly pie? :wink:

Lately, I feel like I'm posting on the wrong messageboard when I post here... Let's see, so far this year I've had 5 races - compared to, um, 5 dives... It's just not right. Hey look Steve, we've manage to derail another perfectly good thread. Sorry Chris! :11:

-Frank

Fantastic, Chris... you got more guts than I do! I gave up my long distance running nearly two decades ago after a bit of foot and ankle damage. SCUBA is now my extreme sport!

So now when are you going to try to swim the San Pedro Channel?

Bill

drbill:
Fantastic, Chris... you got more guts than I do! I gave up my long distance running nearly two decades ago after a bit of foot and ankle damage. SCUBA is now my extreme sport!

So now when are you going to try to swim the San Pedro Channel?

Bill

Well... my long distance is five miles. As far as swimming the channel, hmmm.... no thanks :) I am doing a swim from Alcatraz to S.F. in July though! :)

And Frank, yeah.... good thing conditions here have been kinda sucky or I'd feel REAL bad about my 10 local dives this year... :11:

BTW, just signed up for another one in a week in Ventura. If I could just get the shin splints to go away so I could do the Clydesdale shuffle in peace :)

Chris!

Congratulations! I keep missing messages not in the "Dive into Fitness" sub-categories because I forget to scroll down that far to see them.

Frank, I personally know at least ten divers who got into racing to improve their diving, then cut way back on their diving because of racing. <g> Triathlon is a very addictive sport, for sure.

Another great thing about triathlon is that it is such an inclusive sport. Though many people decide to compete, most consider competition to be against the clock and not directly against other athletes. Those that *are* competing against each other usually train together anyway and still keep things very friendly. I have never seen anyone give a "what is *s/he* doing here?" type of attitude towards beginning athletes, regardless of ability or body shape. <g>

Good luck training for your next race, and make sure to run any questions by Frank or me. There are lots of little tricks to help you maximize the results of your time spent training.

Cameron

wow, I am in awe of you. A triathlon is an amazing physical and mental achievement. Congratulations, and good luck to your future competitions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom