Ahh… Compressors….ah…ahh….Allergies….ahhh…and Clean Air – PSHEWWWTT!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Here in Spokane, the news people are reporting that, locally, allergies are worse this season than they’ve been in many years. And even with the daily Claritin, I still got it bad – the sneezing, the itching eyes… all of it.

But I can clear my ears so I still go diving.

Here’s the odd thing. When I’m underwater breathing the compressed air or nitrox, the symptoms disappear. No sneezing, no itchy eyes, and my sinuses drain clear. But after the dive, within just a few minutes, the symptoms return.

So the question is, does the filter on my LDS’s compressor actually eliminate the allergens?

I would be surprised if it didn't. The filter is designed to get rid of molecule sized contaminates. The gigantic pollen grain would definatly get caught.

Will the news people soon start reporting a strange man wandering around breathing from a SCUBA tank? That could scare the neighbours!

Rick Inman:
So the question is, does the filter on my LDS’s compressor actually eliminate the allergens?

This year is hard for allergies in austria too. I am suffering from gras pollen.... I usually don't dive in June at all... but I can confirm that breathing filtered air cures the hayfever.
The filter in the compressor filters all pollen - realising that was the point when I decided to buy myself a good hepa air cleaner. Since I have my cleaner filtering the air in my sleepingroom I sleep much better. It removes all pollen from the room.
trion-rx-specs.jpg

http://www.airpure.com/trion-electronic-cleaner.html

I bought myself also this thing:
popup_techno.jpg
http://www.respro.com/popup_techno.php
this thing helps when dealing with high pollen loads in the environment, in parks etc. Looks crazy but works great. (It would sure look more funny to walk to the shopping mall with your scuba tank and bcd than with this filter)

Georg

That's really wierd. In Japan it's also possibly the worst year for pollen on record!

I couldn't wear that mask though...looks like Hannibal Lector to me! :D

Kim:
That's really wierd. In Japan it's also possibly the worst year for pollen on record!

I couldn't wear that mask though...looks like Hannibal Lector to me! :D
I seldomly use the mask but sometimes I have it with me, and if the pollenload is too hard to take - I use it. (sometimes when working on construction sites the mask is my only source of relief - it is so dusty & windy there...)

maybe this doesn't look too agressive to you:
popup_aero2.jpg
http://www.respro.com/popup_aero.php

While outside I wear this too:
m_frame_fmj_ice_heater.jpg

Georg

Back
Top Bottom