Servicing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
This summer I'll start living in the Philippines for 2-3 years. When considering equipment purchases, is there any brand of equipment that should be avoided because it will be difficult to get serviced? Will a manufacturers warantee be honored if the equipment was purchased in a different country?

No problem , if you need referals for your equipment maintenance let me know, i would tell you where you bring your gear depending on the brand.

my gear is a mix of sorts. from france, USA, Philippines, even taiwan (for accessories),

one of my gear an octopus purchased form a San francisco shop (most probably manufactured elsewhere) , was determined to be non-repairable. oh well it served its life 8 years of service.....

Halthron:
Will a manufacturers warantee be honored if the equipment was purchased in a different country?
Normally, the warranty that's honored in a particular country is the warranty that's applicable in that country -- as if you'd bought the equipment there.... no matter where you actually bought it. For instance, with Sherwood regulators, they have a 2-year warranty in the U.S. But here in Europe, there's a lifetime parts warranty, even if I'd bought the regulator in the States.

Of course, all the other conditions of a warranty apply... like needing to have bought the equipment from an authorized dealer, and to have annual services done... and being able to document all that (though major equipment (regs) are usually registered with the manufacturer).

The opposite would be true too; if someone had bought a Sherwood regulator in Europe with a lifetime warranty, they'd only be covered in the U.S. for the first two years. But they'd pick up the warranty again if they moved back to Europe, as long as they could document servicing.

Works the same with cars, too.

Might be worth checking out the Asian websites of manufacturers you're considering -- they normally tell you about the warranties. Or e-mail the companies.

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom