Steel VS Aluminum Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EIGHTWGT

Registered
Reaction score
Guys.....

I just ordered a Dive Rite Steel Plate with the 'Basic' (continues) strap and based on a few local reccomondations got a steel backplate instead of the aluminum one. Well the more I think about it - I question my decision. I usually dive with a 3mil suit, and a 3mill vested hood and I had used 12 pounds of weight on my belt. This is in salt water

Now Im wondering if Ill be overweighted with the steel plate and a 100 or 120 Steel tank ...........

Comments would be really welcome !

Well, the steel BP will displace around 6lbs from your weight belt, but I'm worried about how it affects your trim. You now have the 6lbs, plus the tank weight above your torso.

I guess you'll have to play with it to see how it works. Do you have access to an AL plate to try and compare?

EIGHTWGT:
Guys.....

I just ordered a Dive Rite Steel Plate with the 'Basic' (continues) strap and based on a few local reccomondations got a steel backplate instead of the aluminum one. Well the more I think about it - I question my decision. I usually dive with a 3mil suit, and a 3mill vested hood and I had used 12 pounds of weight on my belt. This is in salt water

Now Im wondering if Ill be overweighted with the steel plate and a 100 or 120 Steel tank ...........

Comments would be really welcome !

FWIW, I am overweighted in a 3 mil with my FredT SS plate, "Light" STA, and an AL80 in fresh water. I haven't tried it yet but it may be perfect in salt water, but as DD said, trim may be a bit head down in this setup. I am buying an AL plate for warm water use.

kind of funny how one of the 'selling points' of DIR is supposed to be a single rig which you use in every circumstance, but everyone seems to have a collection of backplates, STAs, wings, etc...

anyone else noticed this?

oh well, its going to make it easy for me to loan gear out to friends now -- i've bascially got one complete singles setup and one complete doubles setup, so all that they need is exposure protection, mask and fins and we can go diving...

lamont:
kind of funny how one of the 'selling points' of DIR is supposed to be a single rig which you use in every circumstance, but everyone seems to have a collection of backplates, STAs, wings, etc...

anyone else noticed this.

You're right. Everyone has a slightly different body type. This person is feet light, that one feet heavy....With my SS, 6 lb plate I'm a little feet light (no weight belt and 3mm suit) until I reach about 30-40 feet and the booties compress. Then just slightly negative feet. I don't think there can be "one rig fits all".

i think lamont meant each individual needs his own collection..one setup isn't enough

mossym:
i think lamont meant each individual needs his own collection..one setup isn't enough

You're ...and he, are right, I believe.

Hank49:
You're ...and he, are right, I believe.

i'm beginning to realise that one isn't enough, even with thanks, i bought 2 e7-100's with a plan to double them up, now that i'm thinking of doubling them up gear changes again, i now think i need:

at least 1 more e7 for single tank diving
another reg
an aluminum backplate..

and more..sheesh..one setup? i'm going to end up with about 4!!

Uh, I don't think that's what DIR sells at all. If you took that to it's extreme, then a recreational diver would be using the same rig as the WKPP cave diver, and we know that's not the case.

I have one rig for recreational, and one for diving doubles also. Each has it's own requirements. But, within each sub-specialty, the rig stays pretty much the same.

lamont:

anyone else noticed this?

oh well, its going to make it easy for me to loan gear out to friends now -- i've bascially got one complete singles setup and one complete doubles setup, so all that they need is exposure protection, mask and fins and we can go diving...

mossym:
i'm beginning to realise that one isn't enough, even with thanks, i bought 2 e7-100's with a plan to double them up, now that i'm thinking of doubling them up gear changes again, i now think i need:

at least 1 more e7 for single tank diving
another reg
an aluminum backplate..

and more..sheesh..one setup? i'm going to end up with about 4!!

sorry i just realised this was in the DIR forum, so apologies if my posts offended!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom