small unusual critters and where in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What small unusal critters have you encountered and where ?

upside down jelly fish held by a decorator crab - Balayan bay, Batangas

remora cleaning a diver -
Balayan bay, Batangas

yellow tail wrasse cleaning a wound of a diver -
Balayan bay, Batangas

not small but a huge cuttle fish arond 1meter long

Ghost pipefish pair, a huge wreck in off Coron.

Small fish with odd tail (might be a baby coelecanth/relative), UW cave in Busuanga - ha ha!

Very active sea snake - lurking in an abandoned sea plane, Coron

Nappy-haired jellies - Busuanga

Horseshoe crab exoskeleton - said to be brought in by the Tagbanua in Coron

Small (about the size of my thumb) black frogfish (Antennarius pictus?) “walking” quite fast along the bottom near “Hole in the Wall,” Puerto Galera.

A very beautiful swimming octopus—quite small and slender, reddish colour. This was near the beach in quite shallow water (seagrass and sand environment), coming from Sabang wreck, Puerto Galera. The DM called the site “Desert Storm” but I don’t think it had an official name.

Vie:
Small (about the size of my thumb) black frogfish (Antennarius pictus?) “walking” quite fast along the bottom near “Hole in the Wall,” Puerto Galera.

A very beautiful swimming octopus—quite small and slender, reddish colour. This was near the beach in quite shallow water (seagrass and sand environment), coming from Sabang wreck, Puerto Galera. The DM called the site “Desert Storm” but I don’t think it had an official name.

when was this?

The people I know just call that area "The Sea Grass", amazing what can live there considering all the $#*+ that flows into the bay from Sabang. Its great place to see all kinds of funky critters, I've seen mimic octopus, leaf fish, banded pipe fish and some others I never found the name for...also great area for a night dive. Just watch out that no boat anchors get dropped on your head.

paolov:
when was this?

The frogfish sighting was on 21st June 2004 at around 1325 hours. The octopus (which I never managed to I.D.) was on the 23rd of June 2004 at approx. 1630 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom