Where to go from here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer-maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Question, I just got my open water 2 weeks ago (yay me!!!!) and now we find out that my buddy is moving to SC next month for a long time. I dont want to stop diving at all but I'm really new and dont really know anyone. Is it ok to take the advanced open water classes w/out him? How would I go about finding people that I would be comfortable around?

I would say absolutely, take the class. Classes are a great way to meet other divers, and spending a little time with them in the pool and on the checkout dives is a great way to decide if you want to continue diving with them. Don't stop just because circumstance is moving your current buddy, new buddies are just around the corner!

Dive clubs are a good way to go ... if you can find one that's nurturing for the newer diver. Often your LDS will have a relationship with a local dive club, because it's good for business to encourage newer divers to get more involved with the activity. You might start by asking your LDS staff for dive club recommendations.

Certainly, continuing education is always advisable if you want to improve in the sport.

I don't know what the diving situation is like around Virginia Beach ... but over here, some new divers even take to hanging out at local dive sites and talking to more experienced divers. Eventually, they'll "click" with someone who's up for mentoring a newbie ... which is often better than formal education.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This board has several geographic based clubs. I think that the mid-atlantic club covers Virginia. These clubs seem to have a good mix of beginers and experienced divers. For me, the wreckvalley club (serves nj, pa, ny) has given me the chance to meet people as obsessed with diving as I am.

mer-maiden:
Question, I just got my open water 2 weeks ago (yay me!!!!) and now we find out that my buddy is moving to SC next month for a long time. I dont want to stop diving at all but I'm really new and dont really know anyone. Is it ok to take the advanced open water classes w/out him?
Absolutely
mer-maiden:
How would I go about finding people that I would be comfortable around?
Lynnhaven Dive Club is one possibility. Charlie Watts at Lynnhaven Dive Center can give you the details. I was a member at one point, but the social aspect seemed to be pretty dominant and I am not interested in another social committment.

Look into volunteering as a diver at the Virginia Aquarium. It is rare for me to go a week without getting wet and my dive skills have have improved tremendously.

Come on over to the Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeder board. I am going to make a trip to the Outer Banks to do some shore dives in the next month or so and I am sure there will be room for one more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom