Diving in RI - August 1st.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daval

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,

My dive buddy and myself will be coming back from the Jersey Shore and would like to stop in Newport for a day of diving on Monday, August 1st.

The article on Rhode Island diving in the latest Scuba Diving magazine is what got me interested in RI. We'd prefer to do a couple of boat dives rather than shore dives if we can find anyone operating on a Monday.

I found Ocean State Scuba on the net and found that they do charters to the following sites (I have not contacted the shop yet):-
Location Max Depth Level
Lightburne 25ft Novice
Gooseberry Arches 25ft Novice
Cormorant Reef 60ft Novice
Kettle Bottom Rock 80ft Novice
Castle Hill Cove 30ft Novice
Narragansett Pinnacles 85ft Intermediate
Whale Rock 50ft Intermediate
Block Island Pinnacle 70ft Intermediate
P.T. Teti 90ft Intermediate
Idene 85ft Intermediate
Explorer 80ft Intermediate

Ideally we'd like to do two single tank dives. We are both certified AOW and would be using air. We are both experienced with cold water being from Southern Ontario.
I wear a drysuit, my buddy wears a wetsuit.

I've been unable to find good descriptions of these dive-sites. Can anyone recommend a good website or whatnot that describes the dives in detail, what can be seen typically, etc.

Also, what inexpensive hotels can be found in the area?

Is Ocean State Scuba a decent outfit, or would you recommend someone else? And are they likely to be running on a Monday?

Thanks in advance!

Daval

Hi Daval I live in Jamestown,(Home to OSS). Dave Swain, the owner is a good friend of mine. I have been diving each of those sites for over 20 years. I would recommend getting a copy of "Rhode Island Adventure diving" I was one of the contributing authors. In the book you will get a short description of each of the sites you listed.
In August, the water temp will be 65-70 degrees. A wetsuit is fine.

Ocean State Scuba is a great shop. Aside from the owner Dave, who sean22 mentioned, there are also some great people like Dan, Matt and Jeremy who work at that shop. If you can go with them I am sure it will be a good experience. The only problem you may have is that they don't normally offer charters on weekdays. If you wanted them to do a Monday charter you'd probably need to make some sort of special arrangement.

Newport Diving Center is another shop you should call (especially if you plan to stay in Newport). I am pretty sure they are doing weekday charters this summer.

Thanks, I called Tom at Newport dive centre. Nice guy, very helpful. He will indeed run a charter and recommended the Teti and Arches.

Back
Top Bottom