Lost logbooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
The other day we went diving and I watched as a guy freaked out after his dive because he had lost his log book, I can't remember how many dives he said he had in it, but it was alot of paperwork that he had lost. I can't even start to think how hard that would be to try and reconstruct that.

I've gotten further away from keeping a paper log, and now all I do is is keep one on a online scuba data log book. It's on a actual server so if my computer crashes or burns up - it is not lost. The reasons I like this it is simple, easy, no papers to keep track of, and access to it almost anywhere in the world.

I know people fear change sometimes, but to anyone out there that hasn't looked into it you might want to, or at least back-up your paper one online.

Just some food for thought. :D

I keep my logs on my desktop computer at home ... and have paper printouts in a file cabinet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lil' Irish Temper:
The other day we went diving and I watched as a guy freaked out after his dive because he had lost his log book, I can't remember how many dives he said he had in it, but it was alot of paperwork that he had lost. I can't even start to think how hard that would be to try and reconstruct that.

I've gotten further away from keeping a paper log, and now all I do is is keep one on a online scuba data log book. It's on a actual server so if my computer crashes or burns up - it is not lost. The reasons I like this it is simple, easy, no papers to keep track of, and access to it almost anywhere in the world.

I know people fear change sometimes, but to anyone out there that hasn't looked into it you might want to, or at least back-up your paper one online.

On a somewhat divergent tangent, it sounds like someone REALLY needs to get a life. Freaking out over losing a LOGBOOK? Hmmm...

Frankly, the only thing that is really "paperwork" in a logbook (at least in the PADI versions) are the places where an Instructor signed off on certification dives. And these are duplicated in the paperwork that is sent off to PADI HQ as well as verified by the cert card the diver has in h/h possession.

BTW, if you REALLY want someone who is OCD about a logbook, I once knew someone who BLEW DRY their logbook when it got a little damp (which was about every time after a dive). :nuts:

Lil' Irish Temper:

Can you say VIRUS? :zap1:

Electronic versions are fantastic. And like Temper said, Back it up. Even the best protected, safeguarded setup can crash or get zapped.

Lil' Irish Temper:
The other day we went diving and I watched as a guy freaked out after his dive because he had lost his log book, I can't remember how many dives he said he had in it, but it was alot of paperwork that he had lost.

Did he try doing a search? :crafty:

well that would really irritate me too, not cos I need the paperwork but because I like the idea that when I'm 65 and still diving I'll have 50 years of memories to reflect on but then I use my logbook as more of a naturalists notebook to record what I've seen. I still use the paper insert style cos I like to write whilst its fresh in my mind but the every 50 dives or so I fire it through the pdf scanner at work so I have hard and soft copies.

download my dives to my computer, then use the data to fill out my log book..suunto software is cr*p anyway, so i don't trust it!!

I keep a hard and soft copy of my log book. I enter everything into Scubase and then print it. Why both - I don't know... In part as another level of backup and I actually prefer paper when just reading.

Although one thing I did change recently though is I no longer PRINT my comments from the dive log. Now I just print the dive details (i.e., location, mix, buddy name, dive profile graph, air usage, etc). I still tend to wring VERY long trip reports and only about half of it relates to the actual dive. More of a diary in some parts I guess. So I wouldn't want it lost for obvious reasons. Personally, I would feel weird a stranger reading it. Much less the people I called idiots in my log book :)

Where would one find an online log?

Is there more than one?

Charge $$$?

Talon:
I keep a hard and soft copy of my log book. I enter everything into Scubase and then print it. Why both - I don't know... In part as another level of backup and I actually prefer paper when just reading.

Although one thing I did change recently though is I no longer PRINT my comments from the dive log. Now I just print the dive details (i.e., location, mix, buddy name, dive profile graph, air usage, etc). I still tend to wring VERY long trip reports and only about half of it relates to the actual dive. More of a diary in some parts I guess. So I wouldn't want it lost for obvious reasons. Personally, I would feel weird a stranger reading it. Much less the people I called idiots in my log book :)

I know what you mean. I critique myself and sometimes my fellow divers when I dive. I hate it when they want to borrow my book to update theirs and then start reading all my comments. The timing of this post was perfect as I was actually building a dive log database today (instead of actually working). My rationalization/justification for doing so at work is that I am refining my database skills in Microsoft Access for an upcoming project. I am a much maligned Lotus Approach user being assimilated by the Microsoft conquerors. Resistance is futile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom