Loblolly Cove 6/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keelhaul123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This past Sunday I dove in Loblolly Cove for the first time in about 2 years. I went with my usual buddy on an important mission of finding some bugs, as my favorite bartender has been supplying me with free beers in anticipation of getting his share of lobster out of me. So this Sunday was dedicated to making his dinnner table a little tastier. I enjoy diving here but don't get there very often as the parking is such a problem. For those of you familiar with the site you will know that there used to be only about 2 parking spaces along the road approximately two hundred yards down the street. So the usual practice was to drop our gear off at Loblolly and then drive the car the couple of hundred yards, park it, and walk back to the site. WELL, I guess those were the good ole' days, because the Town of Rockport in its continuing sign of love for divers has eliminated those two parking spots. So while I sat at Loblolly and waited for my buddy to park her car, and waited for her to return, and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally after almost a half hour she returned.....just to tell me that she finally found a spot at the far end of Pebble Beach! I figured that was a good omen though since fewer divers at the site meant more bugs for us.
Unfortunately this place was LOADED with lobsteres......that weren't legal. We found plenty of eggers, v-notched, shorts.....everything but legal fat happy bugs. In two dives...1 legal lobster. Actually there may have been more, but I am paranoid over the zero tolerance on the north shore, so if there is the slightest blemish on the tail of a female I won't chance taking it.
The Dives:
#1...57 minutes.....max depth 25 feet....water temp 56 above the thermocline...48 below. The thermocline was about 15 feet. Vis...a solid 35 feet...absolutely gorgeous.
#2....59 minutes....max depth 25 feet...temp 56 above thermocline...46 below ( the tide was coming in so I think it was bringing in the colder water)...still a good 35 feet vis.
All in all a great day of diving, especially since we were the only two divers there. Just wish the bugs were more cooperative.

It sure is a vicious circle, the city makes it more and more difficult for divers, so the divers have to make crazy spots and park in crazy spaces and flood the few available spots. This make the neighbors more upset, they complain so the town eliminates more parking spots, so divers fine even worse places to park, and so is the circle of life...etc. And they dont open up the public parking (at the recycle/redemption center) until noon? please? I just dont quite get it. If you embraced the divers and the dollars we spend in the community wouldn't it be a happier place?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it's the most recent regarding Loblolly Cove. Thinking of diving there this Friday and I have a couple of questions...can you dive at low tide? What's the best entry/exit point? Once you're u/w what's the best heading for depth, bugs, cool stuff, whatever? Any boat/angry lobstermen hazards in the area? Viz sounds great...is that normal? Thanks.

LobstaMan

Once you get to lobolly cove and you've parked your vehicle to the right, just walk down towards the little entrance way and onto the rocks. The rocks aren't nearly as bad as in some other places, and yes you can dive there at low tide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom