Hand Holding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brookieman10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife an I finished our advanced open water. I'm a stronger swimmer and seem to get away from my buddy.

Is it ok to touch to ensure we are both on the same plan?

Opinions welecome :crafty:

Certainly.
Rick

this has been discussed on a previous thread...

A divemaster in the tropics (?) discouraged a husband and wife from holding hands, quoting safety reasons...

General consensus...Rubbish! Hold hands with your spouse or significant other, and it can really enhance the experience for some. And as you observed, definitely no losing your buddy then...

I make serious points with my wife when I hold her hand during a dive...

Have fun, dive safe and welcome to the board...

i think you should both feel comfortable independently...only hold hands for pleasure.

Brookieman10:
My wife an I finished our advanced open water. I'm a stronger swimmer and seem to get away from my buddy.

Sometimes there is no other way. More then once I've been in vis. so poor I could not see my buddy. In those cases we smim shoulder to shoulder pushing/bumpping into each other. Lately we've have poor vis on the first 35 to 40 feet that opens up nicely at greater depth
Also it is common be face to face with buddy on the surface and drop down only to loose him in the poor viz and have to surface. On second decent attempts I've held buddy's BC shoulder strap Others will use a 6 foot long "buddy line" or leash. In all cases both were experianced in low vis night dives. In cases where one diver was not I would not depend on hand holding to "tow" the less experianced diver though the merk. You can't depend on this because if you do get seporated the one needing to be towed may panic OK IMO bottom line is that maintaining physical contact is usfull but it must be symetric and not a way to take a less experianced diver into something they could not handle alone.

well, i had frens who are couples, and they hold hands while diving, in the end, they seem to be riding bicycle under water instead of diving...

Brookieman10:

Get a buddy line.
If you want to hold hands on night dives you'll need to grow some extra ones.

I can't see why not! As Jag says, it certainly does score points! :07:

Just keep this in mind:
ChrisA:
...bottom line is that maintaining physical contact is usfull but it must be symetric and not a way to take a less experianced diver into something they could not handle alone.

Well said Chris!

M

Back
Top Bottom