Shark dive vs a wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apg96

New
Reaction score
I am going to Maui in late July and i will eb diving with my dad over there. I want to do a shark dive and a wreck dive along with one normal dive to see all the fishies. If u had to decide on a shark or wreck dive which would u choose. The sharks will be white tip reef sharks i beileve. Which is more worth the money? If wreck dive any suggestions? I will be staying at the new Westin hotel (where we have a timeshare) which is next to old airport beach (where i was certified). I think i will diving out of Lahaina (maui scuba center(which is the company i used when i was certfied)). Any other suggestions for companies perhaps with better dives.

Maui isn't known for having wrecks....where the heck does MDS do a wreck dive??

Honestly can't say a shark dive in HI would excite me...last time we were there a surfer was killed in front of our condo by a Tiger Shark.

the only wreck i saw in maui was the st anthony, a small sunken trawler, very cool for a night dive, but you'd see it all in 2 mins during the day..

DiveMe:
Honestly can't say a shark dive in HI would excite me...last time we were there a surfer was killed in front of our condo by a Tiger Shark.

... and that is not exciting how?

:wink:

If it's a shark dive where they feed the sharks, I'd definately recommend the wreck dive over the shark dive. I've been on two such dives, and both left me a bit depressed ... seeing the sharks queuing up to eat from a feeders hands while kneeling in the sand wasn't much fun. I've never dove in Hawaii, but perhaps they have a "best of both" dive like I went on in the Bahamas: you do a wreck dive, then a snorkeling group comes along to feed the sharks. That allows you to hover in free water nearby, still getting near the sharks, and going back to the wreck dive when you get bored.

apg96:
I am going to Maui in late July and i will eb diving with my dad over there. I want to do a shark dive and a wreck dive along with one normal dive to see all the fishies. If u had to decide on a shark or wreck dive which would u choose. The sharks will be white tip reef sharks i beileve. Which is more worth the money? If wreck dive any suggestions? I will be staying at the new Westin hotel (where we have a timeshare) which is next to old airport beach (where i was certified). I think i will diving out of Lahaina (maui scuba center(which is the company i used when i was certfied)). Any other suggestions for companies perhaps with better dives.

PM "Kidspot" on this board. Tim lives in Maui and can probably point you towards great dive operations.

Mel

I would definitely go with the shark dive. I did a Shark dive in Roatan, Honduras in early May. It wasn't one where they feed the sharks but where they attract them with a chum bucket. Then, at the end of the dive they take the lid off the bucket toss it and watch the sharks go into a feeding frenzy. 3-9 foot black tip reef sharks. Awesome stuff. I bought the video and hope to one day show it to my grand children. Mundo

cAAl:
Ed Robinson's is a good dive operation on Maui:

http://www.mauiscuba.com/erd1.htm

Don't know anything about wreck diving on Maui, but I enjoyed my dive on the backside of the Molokini Crater.

i'll second that, excellent outfit...loved every dive

i saw lots of sharks diving with them without ever going on a shark dive

apg96:
Near where you're staying, either Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers would be a good choice. Both will take you to divesites based on your skill level. Probably Molokini crater. You might see whitetips resting in the sand there, but the backwall is for experienced divers. The crater is still a great dive though, probably the best on Maui. And all the good stuff ends at about 60' there's plenty to see in the shallows.

EH might go out to Lanai and dive Lighthouse, there's sometimes whitetips there in a cave, but they won't let you go in, the DM will "encourage" them to come out. Lahaina Divers has a bigger boat, it's more stable. Which might be more important out to Lanai, it can get a little rougher out there. Both leave out of Mala wharf in Lahaina. I dove with Lahaina Divers but it was a while ago so I don't remember any details.

Ed Robinson's and B&B Scuba are both good outfits. My buddy's diving with ER next week. But they're in Kihei, about 35-45 minutes from Lahaina.

I don't think there's any "shark dives" in Maui. At least not the kind where they chum to attract the sharks. Good chance to see whitetips on just about any dive there though.

Is there any wreck diving in Maui? I've dove there several times and have yet to hear of any. Except the St. Anthony, which I've also heard is a waste of a good dive.

Back
Top Bottom