Off to the red sea in 2 days, need tips on air conservation..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_blue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, i can suck a tank dry in 35 mins at 15meters :(

What are you guys best tips to slow down my air usage?

Relax, enjoy the view. Don't swim too fast, take it really slow.

I'm still working on that problem myself. It sucks to be the first one back on the boat. But when you do get the hang of it, and you aren't the first, it's a really good feeling. I've actually beaten my wife's air consumption a time or two, but I had a strong current to help me out (she's not so great of a swimmer yet).

And welcome to ScubaBoard!

Wijbrandus:
Relax, enjoy the view. Don't swim too fast, take it really slow.

I'm still working on that problem myself. :)

i try to keep calm but with so many things to see its hard to go slow lol :)

And that is why you fail - Yoda.

Slow is the trick. If you go really slow, you'll actually see more.

Took me a bit to believe it too.

Simple solution is to ask your diving centre in Egypt to give you 15liters tanks. They have them although you would have to pay a bit more...Otherwise they all use 12 liters (in fact 80 cu) and then you would be really lost. And as it was said - stay calm and if it's possible reduce weights
Mania

1) stay calm, relax, enjoy the scenery
2) don't overweight, make as few and as small bouyancy adjustments as possible....even consider orally inflating your BC when you can....your BC is an air hog.
3) concentrate on full breath in, full breath out, deep, slow breaths.

Just relaaaax...
Also, if you're heavy on the air, tell the guide and ask him/her (if you're diving in a group with one?) if you can lead the main body of divers behind the guide. That way you can avoid the scenario where you're always chasing. You can slow the dive down in effect and slow your air down.

Just like to share my experience. During my first 8 dives, I was always the first to give the low air signal to the DM. However, for the next 5 dives, my air consumption was more at par with my diving friends when I improved all those small things:
1. Both of my hand on my back unless it necessary to use them.
2. Only use lung volume to change depth or maintaining depth, no kicking.
3. Use more effortless approach to look for my buddy. Look back between my fins or barrel roll instead of a complete stop and turn around while being near vertical.
4. A lot less anxious about my bouyancy thus steadier breathing pattern.

just my 2c

ciklan

I'd say, find an oblivious diver who forgot to lock on their Octopus. Just cruise on above them sipping on their air!! If that doesn't work, you could always ask for a 100 or 120...I think they make 120's. Anyway, enjoy the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom